Which Essential Oils should I buy?

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am going to order some essential oils this week. Could someone tell me if these are worth my money? I'm just looking for the basic ones I would use normally for health or green cleaners etc..

Peppermint
Citronella
Lavender
Lemon
Tea Tree
Eucalyptus
Clove

Thanks!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would add rosemary to the list. Avon used to have a shower jel years ago that smelled, as nearly as I can remember, like rosemary and eucalyptus. It was so good to use on mornings when I would wake up congested. I keep thinking I will reproduce that but other projects keep getting in the way. The other things on your list look good. I haven't used citronella or tea tree, but I love the others. I would suggest that you not buy the cheapest you can find. There is a wide range of quality in essential oils, as you probably know.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oil of oregano is a great one for antiseptic properties too. Oil of coconut is good for getting rid of spiders.. I'm out right now but I mixed it with a bit of water and lime oil and spayed the areas that are hard to reach with the vacuum(at least I have 6foot plus hubby and son to reach it for me haha) and it did work for about 3 months to keep spiders from building cobwebs.
You already have my three favorites on the list.. peppermint/eucalyptus/ clove. I put a drop or two of the peppermint and eucalyptus on the floor of the shower when it gets nice and hot and the steam coming up clears my poor sinuses right out.. I am thinking of getting wintergreen and spearmint too.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Depending on your planned use, I would caution you to make SURE you are getting oils from a reputable source.

I use Essential Oils extensively for a LOT of things, aromatically, topically and even internally. I will ONLY use one brand of oils because of this.

As for basic oils:

Lavendar - Good for everything from bug bites to sun burns to calming. Good for scrapes and bumps (I frequently put it on sores in my mouth or if I bite my tongue, tastes gross but WORKS!)
Peppermint - Good for soothing the stomach, relieving headaches, and is a 'driver' for other oils. Used on top of another oil it will help drive it in and will maximize the effect of that oil.
Copiaba - Great for just about everything that needs healing.
Marjoram - M for MUSCLES! Terrific for relieving aches and pains
Lemongrass - L for Ligaments. Helps relieve joint pain from stress or strains (I almost always double up with Marjoram and Lemongrass together when I have some kind of joint/body pain)
Oregano - Good for clearing up a cold, place a drop under the tongue, or drink in a glass of water.
Cypress - Promotes circulation, helps reduce inflammation
Lemon - Anti-bacterial, great cleaner, gets the sticky off of stuff!
Clove - Remove warts or skin tags

Other more advanced oils that are really powerful (and often expensive, but SO worth it for their healing properties!!)
Cistus - Stops bleeding
Frankenscense - good for skin, and anti-tumoral
Myrrh - Excellent for skin also (great at reducing sunburn in combination with German Chamomile)
Helichrysum - Amazing healing oil.

Please feel free to message me if you want more information. I have spent a great deal of time learning about the oils for both animals and people. They are amazingly powerful healers when you use high quality oils.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never heard of copiaba before. Can you tell us more about it?

Latest posts