Whitehouse Farmer?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Not sure if any of you have heard about this, but there is a movement of people interested in ripping up the whitehouse lawn and growing organic produce. From what I found, apparently Michelle Obama thinks it is a good idea, but won't be thinking seriously about it "until the dust settles." I wonder if they'll decide to do it?

Here is a good article from NY Times on the subject.

There is a website where you can nominate a whitehouse farmer.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Well, they should have an endless supply of manure generated at the other end of the Mall for fertilizer.
Not all the lawn though- where would the egg rolling and easter egg hunt be?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Well, they should have an endless supply of manure generated at the other end of the Mall for fertilizer.
:lol:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Prince Charles has a very successful organic farm and garden, Highgrove, that they could get a few pointers from. I was impressed with his methods and his commitment to organic. It was a wonderful and inspiring book.
I would like to see only a portion of the lawn made into gardens. I'd love to know if they will plant heirloom varieties or hybrids.
Thanks for posting this, it is news to me.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The whitehouse used to actually be home to quite a large flock of sheep and was a working farm at one point..........well Sheep LOL.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Having sheep on hand would come in handy for any .....er....holidays they might wish to celebrate! :D