Whitening sheets?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Any way to whiten sheets?

DB is going through divorce and I offered to wash his stuff. He brought over sheets that are far from white. It looks like he was wearing dirty socks to bed and watching TV with them on in bed. I'm guessing. :idunno

I used my homemade laundry soap, presoak, white vinegar, non chlorine bleach, hung on line in sun and they don't look clean to me.
Would bluing work?
Until the divorce frees up his money he can't buy new sheets. I don't have the facilities to dye them because I take them to the local laundry which is very limited. I just want them to look clean and white.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Bluing does whiten very well. Also I just read about lemon juice on TEG as a fantastic whitener. I will look it up for you. BRB!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
What about the "oxy clean" recipe, somewhere on this site? It contains hydrogen peroxide. You could try spraying it on as a pre-treatment....?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
When I was very young, the women in our building would lay the sheets on the lawn to whiten them. I wasn't allowed to play in the yard on those days. Sunshine does do an amazing job of whitening, but it depends on the fabric. I used to whiten my daughters cloth diapers by hanging them on the line.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Where does one find bluing? I figured that I'd find some at Walmart, but no luck there or at several other stores.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
freemotion said:
What about the "oxy clean" recipe, somewhere on this site? It contains hydrogen peroxide. You could try spraying it on as a pre-treatment....?
Thanks! I did a search and found Keljonma's recipe and will pretreat overnight. :D

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
It is usually at the grocery store near the bleaches. :D
I will check a few different groceries than the ones I did try. :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I live in a town with pop of about 8,000. The local albertsons had it. :hu Good luck! Sometimes it is near the stuff for shining shoes and such.