Whizbang Chicken Plucker???

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so now you know what my next project is going to be. :D

I was just wondering if anyone has built this before? Has any experience with the plans or any advice.

With 50 birds coming up in early September this project is top of my list. Dh wants to go at it on his own. I am thinking the kit might be a better route to take.

I did find a blog where the young man used different parts and pieces than the original directions recommended. But it worked just as well.

Anyways, just though I would ask.

gina

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That is also on my list of thing to get, I missed out on a CL add for a chicken plucker for $100 :(

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ugggg... That bites. Chicken plucker's are not common at all here in San Diego. I posted an add on CL and I had people e mailing asking if they could rent mine once I built it.

Which gave me all kinds of ideas.

My husband decided to change the plan yesterday. he thins building a hand held drill attachment would work. I said NO. It's the Whizbang or bust.

We will see what happens.

;)

g

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Tell him I said NO to the drill attachment. We did that last year. It does not work. Well, it works but it rips the skin, does not take out all the feathers and was just really a waste of money. It would have been just as easy to pluck by hand.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw a You-tube video of a chicken plucker made out of a washing machine. Pretty interesting.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The kids and I made one of these last year as a homeschool project. DH did the electrical wiring for the motor. It works great!! Using the kit takes the guess work out of it. Also, look carefully at the updated ideas in the back of the book. Mine suggested to not cut out the bottom, but instead cut a hole in the side away from the motor for the feathers to exit. I did this (should have made it a bit bigger) and it works great. I got a 5 gallon bucket and drilled a bunch of holes in it. This I place under the hole and it collects all the feathers that come out and doesn't hold any of the water. Also, we installed two of the plucking fingers upside down to sweep out the feathers underneath. Since you are not cutting out the bottom, you will have to measure very carefully. Also, you will be installing your sidewall plucking fingers after the spinning plate goes in.

Your DH will be glad he went with the Whizbang over the hand held thing once the first two birds go through. A good scald makes all the difference in the world. Not to cold, not to hot and not too long (or to short). It was a learning curve for us, but we are very pleased with it.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks BirdBrain.

So do the newer plan books show the updates you are referring to? I did see a video where the man had the hole in the bottom for the feathers to exit. Just as you mentioned. In combination with the hole drilled bucket there was almost no feather mess.

We had this discussion at the in laws on Sunday. The most non SS people in the world. My BIL was on my side. He told dh that if were raising chickens for the rest of our lives we may as well build it.

I also read him what miss_thenorth had written. :D

I was hoping to have hime fabricate the plate as well as rummage up the rest of the parts. I think we may even have a motor. Then my main cost would be the fingers.

We will see.

Thanks, G