Who grows fruit?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What is the best fruit you can grow in your area and do you grow it?

Does your climate allow alot of variety in your orchards?

Just wondering what people grow regarding fruits.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I grow lots of strawberries and blueberries- they do well here - we have wild strawberries and huckleberries all over the place.
Then I grow apples and asian pears - mixed results as there is a lot of fog and rain just when the trees tend to blossom- if rain misses blossom time then there's a good set- if not, sometimes almost no fruit.
I also grow oranges, lemons and tangerines in pots on the porch- the lemons (actually Meyer lemon) are pretty reliable- everything else is an occaisonal pleasant surprise.
My very favorite fruit is alpine strawberris- little ball of real good taste. They take little water and the slugs miss them more than the big strawberries. And since I have had slugs over 9 inches, that's important.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I wish I had fruit trees. I could have plum and pear. My dad is making an apple orchard next year.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well... we don't grow fruit b/c I don't know anything about them... but we have fruit growing! :) We have several different apple trees.. the biggest producer is Granny Smith. The smallest producer is the sweetest best tasting.. not sure what it is. I think we got 3 bushels from the Granny Smith last year... and then a couple more from all the rest. But that doesn't include all the ones we eat while taking walks, and the kids eat while out playing. :)
Plus a couple trees are too high for us to get the ones up high. I'll climb up only so high ya know! They're not nice 'n short like in an orchard... our lot was vacant for several years before we moved in.

Apple Orchards and Cherry Orchards are abundant in this area. We just got through w/ Cherry Festival... and week long HUGE event... we have several hundred thousand extra people in town for a couple weeks every year for Cherry Festival. I avoid errands at all cost during that time! :)

We also have a small nectarine tree.... didn't produce anything this year.... last year only salvaged about 7 or 8 nectarines from it... after the deer got to it! They stand on their back legs and use their front legs to rock the tree and branches and make the fruit fall down. Nice!

We have at least an acre (or more) of wild raspberry bushes (black and red).

A small amount of wild strawberries.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Have 16 assorted apple trees that produce large amounts of wonderful mountain apples. This year we are going to pick some to sell at the roadside on weekends and also would like to offer some in a U-pick situation. We give away tons each year and I also put up applesauce, will be putting up apple butter and freezing apple pie slices this year.

Next year I plan to plant some Doyles thornless blackberries, some thornless raspberries, and later may think about blueberries. Also plan to plant a dwarf cherry tree next year, as well as a couple of cold hardy pecans. We already have 3 chestnut trees here.

The trees that did well last year, took a break and the ones that slacked off last year are loaded. Funny how nature cycles around, isn't it? :)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
At my old house we had blueberry bushes, Here at our new house, we have a berry patch 2 miles from our house.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have strawberries, red raspberry, and a few wild black berries. I also have 4 apple trees out at the garden. They are still pretty small. The largest one has about 20 apples on it. Hopefully I will get enough good apples this year to do some applesauce!!

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I planned to put in some blueberry bushes this year, but sadly, that plan has went the way of so many of my other grand ideas. :lol: Maybe next year. They do really well around here if the birds don't get them first! I considered trying to start a small orchard, but the only place for me to put it is also the local deer's favorite hangout. Deer are cool and all, but I ain't putting in a bunch of expensive apple trees for their pleasure and enjoyment, ya know? ;)

So, blueberries, and maybe strawberries if I can find the space--next year! :D

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have peaches, pears, apples and apricots. Also a massive fig tree that produces small canning figs and a young turkey fig tree. I have a pomengrante that never seems to bear fruit. I had raspberries from time to time...I usually wind up killing those... Watermelons (I really should cut soon), wine grapesand strawberries in the garden every year. I found out this year I have a wild mulberry tree on the property as well as wild persimmons and some other wild berries that are used for making wine around here.