Who has or does bike/walk/bus commute?How far and often?

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have always felt that cars can be more of a burden than a convience. They are expensive and require too much outside input (taxes, gasoline, etc.). I prefer the simple bicycle for transportation (when I can) or walking as a second choice. It seems cleaner and simplier. Even a bus or train is not too bad as long as it fits my scheduling. Just read a book or talk. Someone else does the driving. Have met some of the nicest and most interesting (in a good way) people on public transit.

I'm pretty lucky that I live in a large enough 'metropolis' (if you want to call it that). Work, church and shopping or usually within a few miles on nice roads. There is no need to fight over the use of a car with another family member. Today when I had to go to a sub jub across town and someone else had to drive my grandparents around. It was not a problem. Just left a litttle earlier and rode my bike. A bit farther than usual (around 7 miles one way instead of 2) but a nice ride.

As I riding home, I wondered how this fits into being sustainable. Well, it cost less, uses less energy, something that is simplier and easier to maintain. I suppose it could be sustainable. Then I wondered, if others feel the same way.

To answer the above question. I usually bike about 5 miles a day 3-4 times a week. Ocassionally, I walk about 2 or 3 miles to the store. Usually, this is about once a week. Lately, I have not taken a bus or train. Bus fare has become too high ($1.25 each way) and schedules too inconvienent.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Used to only take the bus or walk when I lived in the big city.

DianeB, do you have a nice big basket on your bike? :) I had a wonderful bike with a basket until some dummy swiped it. I even had a hefty lock and everything. :somad

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Used to only take the bus or walk when I lived in the big city.

DianeB, do you have a nice big basket on your bike? :) I had a wonderful bike with a basket until some dummy swiped it. I even had a hefty lock and everything. :somad
Have a few bikes. One has a large extension called an Xtracycle. It allows be to carry up to 250# of stuff including a passanger. Will post a pciture if you want.

The bike I road today was an Electra beachcruiser with a nice WALD wire basket in front. This bike is fast. If I only have to bring a purse or a few items, prefer to take this one. It is also pretty.

I have only had 2 bikes stolen in 11 years. Both were expensive, left overnight in a public area and locked improperly. Ugly and/or cheap bikes are the best way not to have them stolen. Also, never been in an accident. Though, I have riden pretty much anywhere.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
When I lived in a big city, I usually used the busses. Liked them usually and made some friends that way. Used a bike for the closer stuff then.
I walk here plenty but don't have a bike. The hills here would make a bicycle challenging. Thought about getting a small motorcycle but it wouldn't be much help with homesteading/market gardening, etc.
I may end getting a van because you can lock up your cargo, keep it dry, and they are pretty versatile. Wish they were easier on gas.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't bike anywhere or have public transport.

My area is very rural and bikes on my roads get ya killed.
No bus or anything.

I love my SUV. I love the independence of my own vehicle. I also buy farm equip type stuff when out so taking a bus wouldn't be feasible for alot of things. I combine tons of trips in one drive--hitting all the stores, banks, etc. I need and my vehicle makes that happen.

I love biking and do it whenever we camp etc. My almost 5 year old can't bike on the roads out here either so we ride up and down my dead end road for biking fun.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
When I lived in a big city, I usually used the busses. Liked them usually and made some friends that way. Used a bike for the closer stuff then.
I walk here plenty but don't have a bike. The hills here would make a bicycle challenging. Thought about getting a small motorcycle but it wouldn't be much help with homesteading/market gardening, etc.
I may end getting a van because you can lock up your cargo, keep it dry, and they are pretty versatile. Wish they were easier on gas.
Ever though about getting a electric hybrid bike. They are less expensive than most people think. Make going up hills easier. iZip is the most well known company. But, I am sure others make them.

Have to admit that most my biking experiences have been on flat land. However, when I took some courses at Berkeley, it seemed like people biked everywhere. Even up monsterous hills. They are just use to it.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
When I first moved to the general area I live in now, I used to ride my bike, take the ferry to Seattle, and then ride my bike to the University of Washington, first to go to classes and then to work. Rain or shine. Day or night.

Then when I started working closer to my home, I used to walk a lot, or else commute.

Now my husband and I live in a more rural area and have a little commuter car that we use. I have walked/jogged home a few times just to see how long it would take, or to get exercise. It takes me about 2 hours of jogging/walking. I used to actually bike the route, but not during commuter hours. It is dangerous, even in the middle of a week day. There is no way I would bike it during "rush hour."

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I don't bike anywhere or have public transport.

My area is very rural and bikes on my roads get ya killed.
No bus or anything.

I love my SUV. I love the independence of my own vehicle. I also buy farm equip type stuff when out so taking a bus wouldn't be feasible for alot of things. I combine tons of trips in one drive--hitting all the stores, banks, etc. I need and my vehicle makes that happen.

I love biking and do it whenever we camp etc. My almost 5 year old can't bike on the roads out here either so we ride up and down my dead end road for biking fun.
Same here, very rural and not close to anything by bike. Very rarely do I ever come back with what I could carry on a bike. Even if I did have her extention, no way could I make it up a couple of monster hills to my house with chicken feed, dog food and people food.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I lived in New Orleans I used my bike, unless I was going to NO proper. Not a good idea for a woman alone to bike through some of those areas. I roller bladed to the grocery store that was a couple of block from my apartment and rolled the shopping cart all the way back to my front door. There were always a couple of carts around the complex.
I use my bike when I need to run to the store in my tiny hometown, or walk. I see no need to get in the car & waste gas when everything is within 1 1/2 miles.
But, for going to work, bringing home feed, groceries, etc. I love my car. Its a tiny little POS that gets good milage, has a huge trunk & I live 30 miles from my job. I couldn't bike 60 miles everyday without an electric bike. Even then, there are no paths I could take other than the busy, crazy state highway.

I've often said a busline that went from the MS delta to Winona and back every morning & evening could make a killing. 45-50 miles each way and there are tons of folks who live along the path that would use it if it were decent.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I only put 3100 miles on my car since August 2008. Some physical challenges preclude prolonged walking and any bike riding at all.

Latest posts