Who Has Started Cycling Again as a *Cough* MATURE Person?

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you've taken up bicycling as an older person, did you go back to a regular bicycle? Or did you try something else?

I'm toying with the idea of an electric bike, even though they're horribly expensive. (I would check out the bike shops in Seattle for a used one.) I don't have any problems with my balance or my knees, but I like the concept of a power boost for hills or when I'm tired, if I decide to exercise this way instead of the long walks I usually take. Maybe a 3-speed step-through like this one:

Biria%20EB-sm.jpg

(Get ready to gasp: MSRP is $2799.00) :ep

https://biria.com/bike/electric

Has anyone chosen an E-Bike? What's been your experience?

I also wonder about the legalities of using an e-bike on regular bike paths, so please weigh in with whatever info you might have for me! Thanks.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I used to cycle lots, but a horrible accident put me off and I only got on a bike again when I lived in the Netherlands for a few months, back in 1999-2000. I am considering getting back on a bike now, after buying my son one for Xmas. I figure it'd be fun for us to do together, if I can get over my nerves!

A friend of mine has an electric bicycle and he said it's amazing! He cycles quite far with it and the power boost now and then really helps when you're getting tired or need a little boost to go up a hill. As long as you don't ride recklessly or too fast, I don't think it would be an issue on cycle paths?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I prefer a 3-wheeler... easier for my less than stellar balance. I found one in a yard sale for $50; it just needed new tires.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Whew - I'm not the only one who thought that, lol!

I haven't been on a bicycle in about 10 years...wouldn't be afraid to do it - just no where safe to ride close to home.

Lots of secondary two-lane roads with no shoulders and an endless stream of trucks, right? Same here -- I'll only use the bike paths which, fortunately, abound in this area.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
There are add-on motors that can be added to bikes. My ex was into that sort of thing. I know they exist/existed, but I don't have any more info than that.

This reminds me of when I was frustrated with drawing and talked to my instructor about getting a projector. She said my skills were developed enough that (given my goals) a projector was not unreasonable. Then she told me to look at the reviews compared to prices. Oh my! I did that and decided I could buck up and spend more time getting fluent in the early sketching stages of drawing. I wonder if this is analogous? If you look at that price hard enough, doesn't it make you think you'd rather work on your physical strength than spend so much money on a device to do it for you?? (or maybe I'm not old enough for this thread. ;) I thought it was about menopause and got curious...)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, wrong cycling thought for me, too. :D

BUT my personal stance would be to cycle for the healthy physical considerations. In Spring & summer I see a lot of cycling groups out here. We are between some towns & have good road with some gradual incline, decline, curves & light traffic. Seems they like the area.

I haven't cycled for years but used to a lot. Not on my list of urgent "to do" things. But it is great exercise. I'd probably not spend the bucks for the motorized. Just me.