Who here has cows?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Call me paranoid, but I think something is wrong. Yesterday, Annabelle was out on pasture for the first time this year, with the sheep. They were only out for a few hours. When I went to bring them in, Anna was breathing very heavily. Made a mental note, checked up on her twice after that before I put them to bed, no more heavy breathing.

today, no pasture,-- it was pouring rain, and I didn't want divits in the pasture. She went out to eat the hay as normal, but I just came back in from the barn, and she was coughing. Not alot, but I got concerned. Took her temp, normal--, she pooed and peed,-- normal. My paranoia got the better of me, I gave all of them some baking soda, the sheep had some, I kinda forced anna to take some. She seemed ok, but the cough, and the heavy breathing from yesterday as me concerned.

Talk to me please, cow peeeps. :/

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I think I am just being paranoid. I just came back from the barn again, and she seemed fine. She was eating. Couple that with her temp being normal, no weeping eyes or nose.
I am always like this even when I just let my horses out to pasture inthe spring, and this is my first year with a cow. My mind was think Bovine respiratory disease, but......

Of course I will be keeping an eye on all of them, and al will hopefully be normal after they have been successfully been put on pasture fully.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Sounds like it isn't anything to worry about. Perhaps she wasn't used to all the walking she was doing? :p