Who is homeschooling this year?

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hsm6kids said:
We studied it for 2 mths. though because we found it very interesting and were amazed at how what is taught here in America about world war 2 is different than what really happened.
We will probably be learning about WWII in the next year or so. I would be interested to hear what you learned is taught differently here.

hsm6kids

Power Conserver
Reaction score
For one thing, The united states is usually portrayed as the hero's of world war ll when in reality we did not involve ourselves until we were attacked despite Roosevelt being fully aware of the atrocity taking place. Russia in my opinion was the hero of world war ll. We were begged by Churchill to get involved and it wasn't until we were attacked by Japan that we chose to do anything. Our country even refused to take Jewish refuges.
Without writing a whole report LOL These are just a few things we found out that surprised us. We read a lot of books and watched a lot of documentaries on the subject. I did not use textbooks or second hand accounts we only read biographies by people who were really there and documentaries with first hand accounts. I don't know if you have Netflix, but they have a large amount of world war ll documentaries. I don't have the list of our materials in front of me right now but I will look if you are interested.

SimpleSchooling

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am homeschooling this year, and have been for the past 7 years. Every year it gets just a little bit harder to understand people who send their kids away from home everyday - I'm afraid I might not be "mainstream" anymore.

When do you start your school year? We start in August and end in May, technically. In reality we start in August and end when we finish the curriculum, which in most subjects - is March.

Is this your first year? This is our Seventh year.

What are your goals? To enjoy spending all my time with my kids and teaching them things they would never have the chance to learn by a stranger who didn't love them so much.

Are you doing anything different or special? All of it is special. :)

ParsonsWife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is my 4th year to homeshool....
I have a 4th grader and one that began..."K".
I use Abeka DVD's. These are great....some flaws, as with most things...but these really help.
As a ministers family our schedule can get really weird...and homeschool is the only thing that works for us, at least at this time.
I try to make any trip a learning experience....without them even knowing it!
My daughter hates word problems...so, the other day at the grocery store...decided to have her with a pen and paper 'take notes for a list'..(she loves this..I love list)
I 'said' I wanted 6 cookes for 21 ladies, and how many pkgs of choc. chips would I need if my batch makes 36 and use a whole pkg per batch....she had that worked in no time...and never KNEW it was a math problem...later, I mentioned to her dad how she helped me...and the light 'dawned' on her that it was a word problem.
My son, we spot "letters" and "numbers" on EVERYTHING....colors...not just the primary...shapes inside of things...lots of fun...try I spy with shapes instead of colors! ;)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I do the same type f things with my ds when we go to the store. My 2 yr old is starting to learn her colors & shapes now too which is exciting. She has her right & left down with no problems. When we say the Pledge of Allegiance she is even getting some of the words down to that too!
It is just so amazing & exciting to see all the accomplishments they make & to know I had a major hand in it is just beyond words.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is our second year of homeschool. We adopted five of our former special needs foster babies and they just weren't getting what they needed in PS so here we are. We use a public school curriculum that the kids access via computers provided by the school as well as books and supplies provided by same school. The kids are really doing well finally and I'm happy with the program.

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is our 5th year homeschooling. I have one in 8th, one in 5th and one pre-K. We love having the kids at home, teaching them about "everyday" things. We are definately not "main stream" as we don't watch TV outside of one or two sporting events a year and occasionaly antiques road show on PBS. We do watch videos - mostly "old" disney, little house on the prairie and some of the movies from Feature films for families. I love being with my kids and sharing so much with them and they with me.