Whoo Hoo! A hidden pantry!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We have an elevator in our house...it is a handicapped accessable home so it just kind of came with the house and is perfect for bringing groceries up to the kitchen level from the driveway. Allongside the shaft was a 'storage room, accessable from outside to store lawnchairs and other stuff. BUT DH had a wonderfl idea! We have blocked it off from the outside, and cut a hole through from the inside of the elevator shaft to give me a huge 8x8 pantry! It is only 4 ft high, but totally accessable from the kitchen simply by hopping into the elevator...and it will be great to bring supplies into from the car as well. I am thrilled! Yesterday we cut the hole, vaporbarriered, and today we are sheeting it and building a whole lot of shelves. I also came up with a really great idea to store flour and pasta and stuff we don't want bugs or rodents getting into...OLD COOLERS! They are thick, seal very well, and will be PERFECT for items that are prone to bugs and such! They stack well, and I will label them with what is inside. I have used totes in the past but find that bugs can easily get inside them because they don't seal, and some rodents chew through them for what is inside. There is even a light in there so we can keep it above freezing during winter!
Here are some pics of our progress so far.

162_002.jpg

looking at the elevator shaft.

162_001.jpg

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, that is so cool :)

I'd love to have that much space for storage!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know what would be really cool? Is a secret door off the elevator shaft. So no one knows the room is even there. ;)