Whoo Hoo Pallets galore!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dh called from work today and said he was having the guys drop off some pallets. He said he intended them for fire wood for the desert. I informed him only after I took what I needed for various building projects. He agreed. Smart man. ;)

So this is what they brought.

333_img_0778_1.jpg

I can see a coop, and maybe even a goat shelter. What do you think?

gina

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
WOW!!

there is nothing you cant make out of pallets! i even make cool fencing one time! yay!!!

and of course... the hog hug 2009 was made of... pallets!

great find! build baby build!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
SCORE!

My DH brings home a pallet every now and then, so far we just use them to store our horse hay on top of, to keep them from getting nasty moldy.

You could make a really lovely coop out of those - I might ask hubby to try get more for us, its not easy to find them around here, but every now and then we do!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks, I read it takes the average person 30 min to disassemble a pallet. Dh said "better get going"... Uh ok I will give it a go.

Pallets are pretty common around here. These actually came from our old office, now sold to someone else. But they have to pay to take them to the dump. So this way they get to off load them for free. I am good with that.

Now I just need to decide what I want to build.

gina

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Thanks, I read it takes the average person 30 min to disassemble a pallet. Dh said "better get going"... Uh ok I will give it a go.

Pallets are pretty common around here. These actually came from our old office, now sold to someone else. But they have to pay to take them to the dump. So this way they get to off load them for free. I am good with that.

Now I just need to decide what I want to build.

gina
30 minutes. That's better than I could ever do. Mine always had the threaded nails that wouldn't let go. Tore up many a board.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Uggg, that does not sound good. I guess I won't know until I try. I wonder if I could leave them whole for the most part? I know they would be heavy but a lot less work.

I guess I will have to see.

Thanks, gina

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sweeeet! Tanks, the pallets will come apart much easier if you use a wonderbar or a crowbar with a nail cutter.

Use a hammer to tap the nail cutter notch under the board, then tap & twist to cut the nail off flush. You might have to hammer a small bit of nail flat, but it goes much smoother.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Sweeeet! Tanks, the pallets will come apart much easier if you use a wonderbar or a crowbar with a nail cutter.

Use a hammer to tap the nail cutter notch under the board, then tap & twist to cut the nail off flush. You might have to hammer a small bit of nail flat, but it goes much smoother.
Nail cutter, that's what I needed. For me the crowbar and wonder bar split lots of board where the nails were.

If your boards are oak you might want to predrill or at least drill a starting hole for your nails. I'm not a good carpenter and bent a lot nails in oak and other hard wood.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
or you can always leave them intact, sort by size... and you have pre-made wall sections!

:)

we used one HUGE pallet to be a wall on a previously 3 sided shed... it was perfect. we covered it in chicken wire and boom - geese have a new hut.

but when i take 'em apart i use The Big Hammer!

go for it!
:)