Whooo Hooo More canning jars!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I Just had to share I had a great find today. :weee I answered a Craigs list add yesterday for canning jars. The lady wanted 50cents per jar and told me she wanted 23.00 for them. I said I would take them all. I figured that I was getting 46 jars which is was great. But this morning I drove to a neighboring city to pick them up.. I ended up with 6 dozen quart jars and 2 dozen mayo jars. I was so excited. What a great deal.. :clap

There are some really neat jars. Some say "strong Shoulders" on the face. There are even a few plain jars that say ball on the bottom. Not something I have seen before.

I just switched them into new boxes and plan to run them through the dishwasher. With the pints I scored at that garage sale I should be set for a little while at least.

Thanks for sharing my joy. G
333_img_0853_6.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Good score!!! I think this whole SS thing is really falling in to place for us all, isn't it? Everyone has had some really good deals and finds this spring.....or maybe we are just noticing them more?

Congrats, Tanks!!! More food to squirrel away....... :D

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
:woot I need to watch Craigslist a little closer!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yowza!!! It was this forum that gave me the idea to watch craigslist, which netted me some free jars and a couple of goats... :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so I checked the original post I think it was .25 per jar. Anyways I still am very happy and I got a ton of quart jars. Some are really neat and you can tell older. Not green glass but interesting shapes.

Oh my, now I just need to figure out what I am going to can in quarts. Maybe a ton of Spaghetti sauce. Maybe I should try apple sauce this year. What kind of apples are good for apple sauce??? Oh I know. Free ones. ha I crack myself up. See ya, g

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I do a lot of soups and stews in quarts, also broth, and my favorite, boiled peanuts! Chili would be good, too. I did it in pints, because dh and I are often not in the mood for chili at the same time. Oh, that sounded naughty..... :rolleyes:

dnsnthegrdn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Refried beans! I make mine in a big crock pot so I have plenty to save.

That was a good find.

Speaking of getting jars. Someone gave me some old jars that have been sitting under a house for YEARS and they look ruff, not chipped just dirt, dust, some have oxidation. Are those still safe to use?

Also you can use Classico spagetti jars to can as well. They have the same mouth as canning jars. Not exactly SS to buy speg. sauce , but if you know someone else who uses that brand....