Who's playing with steam?

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of steam and wonder if there is any on here who is using it around there place.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Nope. But if I had any geothermal activity I would sure put it to good use.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wallybear said:
I am a huge fan of steam and wonder if there is any on here who is using it around there place.
Steam is kewl. I love steampunk novels.

Steam also requires energy to create it. As Wifezilla mentioned, geothermal is a great way to get it. I'm not sure whether solar would be sufficient to do it.

Do you have any ideas, designs, etc for what you'd like to do?

Personally, I always wanted to build a hydraulic-powered electric generator in a waterfall. Of course, that would require me to have property with a creek and a waterfall... ;)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Steam is hard in Colorado. Very little water and only shrub to burn for it LOL.

But I love the concept of it.

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You can build a steam engine out of a $50 weed wacker if you want. I am wanting to build a wood stove that is a multipurpose unit.

The idea is to build a rocket stove and have a boiler attached to it. This will provide hat water for the house during the colder months and build steam for a small steam engine. The small steam engine would be used to generate electricity during the winter months when solar is not as effective.

I live in the PNW and have plans on moving to Alaska eventually. So this unit that I am mentally putting together at this time is designed with that in mind.