Why did the rooster cross the road? Now I'm sad...

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I am almost certain that no one has experienced this. Last night while out doing chores, I looked in the yard, and there was a new rooster pecking in the grass. I have never seen it before. One of my roos got a sight of it and they started fighting. I quickly intervened. then my son, his friend and I cornered the new roo ,and I walked him over to the neighbours house, to see if it was his. He wasn't home. I was pretty sure it was his rooster, but in case it wasn't, I didn't want to leave him there, so I brought him back home and set him up in the brooder I was getting ready for my new chicks which are still in the incubator.

In the morning, we heard him crow, so we knew it was the neighbours roo,- so dd walked him over and left him in the front yard. (neighbour wasn't home again). then, as the kiddos were getting on the bus, we see the roo making a bee line for the road again, heading straight for our place again. I shooed him away.

I'm sure I haven't seen the last of him. How do I handle this one? Is he coming over to fight, or to get with my hens, when he has hens of his own? This is the neighbour who, when he drives by and you try to wave to him, he looks in the opposite direction--not so friendly.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I just logged in and was going to post a thread about a dead rooster I saw just down the hill on route 308.

I dislike neighbors like that, I don't know the answer to help you on this one. :/

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know the age of your kiddos, but if they are small, I would be concerned for their safety around this roo. I would leave him at home with a note (he may not realize it has started leaving his yard). If he returns . . dinner?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My kids are not what I woudl be concerned about- at ages 12 and 13, they are well versed in unruly roo behaviour. But this roo is a game cock (old english game--absolutely beautiful) with one inch sharp spurs, they are known for being aggressive birds, and the roo of mine that it was fighting with was just an 8 month old with no real spurs with which to defend himself with.

If , or when, I should say, he comes back, he will get one more chance to stay at home like a good little boy, and I think a note on the door is a good idea, since the owner avoids all contact with us. After that, game birds do make the tastiest soup. ( I had gamebirds for a while, so I know)

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like that is a good plan. Have you had problems with that neighbor or is he just plain old-fashioned rude?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We've lived here for close to three years, and he has never waved, or anything. He's an old guy, widowed, and I think he just likes to keep to himself. He's actually a good neighbour as far as that is concerned. He's quiet, minds his own business,and just goes about with his day. It could be alot worse.

He is probably unaware that his roo has come over. Seriously, I never expected it to happen, I'm sure he never thought it would happed either. Never in a million years did I think I would have this problem. I mean, a neighbours dog got one of my roos two years ago, so I have always been on the lookout for wandering dogs, but who would think I would have to watch for wandering roos? :barnie

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Went out to do chores this evening and he was roosting in the rafters of the barn. he is in the brooder again for the night, as it was too dark and late to bring him back, -he'll go back in the morning. if he comes again, well, he won't be brought back home again.

I really wish I knew why he is coming over. Hens, food, or fighting. Gotta be one of those but which one?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Update: We went to return the roo to his home, and neighbour said, his hens started disappearing one by one, and now there are none left. We offered some hens, since I have many, but he says he doesn't want to have the chickens anymore. (He has a treelined ditch beside his property and there has been a raccoon living near there, but it got hit by a car at the mouth of our driveway a few weeks ago, bet that is what got his hens) (Never saw the racoon on our property though, but the dogs knew it was there as they ran across the road every night)

He siad if the roo came over agian, we could either keep it or make soup with it. He apologized for the inconvenience, but was sad that his hens were gone.

As soon as we were coming back home, the roo was right behind us. he's roosted in the barn as I type. I'm sad b/c he is lonely. and b/c he is beautiful. but I cant keep him. We are breeding for meat and laying hens. this guy is puny, being a bantam. No good for meat. ARRRGH!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Since the neighbor doesn't want him, how about posting him on CL or some other bulletin. He is probably too old to eat anyway. But someone might be willing to take in a poor homeless roo who has lost his ladies to a raccoon.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I thought about that. He is soo pretty! I'm sure he would find a new home. He is an old english game fowl. His wattles have been dubbed--not extremely(as in for fighting, ) but possibly for showing. I cant get over his colouring.

What I really want to do is give the neighbour som hens though. Call me silly, but I used to love when my roos crowed, and then he crowed back and you could hear him in the distance. I will miss that.