Why do my heels hurt?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have had "heel spurs" a few times. Wouldn't hurt constantly, just sometimes especially if I stretched my achilles tendon, as in when bending over, a sudden burning pain would surge up my heel. Not fun. My chiro who was also a friend told me to get some of the inexpensive heel pad/supports at big mart. Dr Scholls? Maybe. They are grey with a blue cushiony oval in the middle. About $5. I wore them in my shoes daily. Within a few days the pain was gone. If/when it comes back, I wear the supports for a while and the pain leaves.

ezrida

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi
I have plantar fasciitis myself for a few months now. My podiatrist prescribed me with custom made orthotics which did not work at all. I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it may not work for the other. There are many treatment techniques that you can try. There are Taping techniques that I find very useful.
There are a few more self-care techniques that I got from this informative website:
plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/How_is_Plantar_Fasciitis_Treated.html
Take care & Good luck

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I feel your pain, in the 'been there, done that'. Ouch.

I agree with Lady H. I had PF for months before someone told me about the stretching before I got out of bed. I was shocked at how much better I felt and how fast it cleared up. Good shoes are important, IMO. I have to buy new ones more often than I want.

A friend had heel spurs, he had to wear a heel cup for a long time, but they went away.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I stretched my calves before getting out of bed this morning, and my heels haven't hurt at all today!!!! :weee

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Hoorah!!!

I made it to the gym for the first time in too long LOL. 1.5 mile walk to and from, then time on stretching and abs :D

We'll see how sore my calves are tomorrow LOL

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I've ben reading this thread with interest b/c I have a similar thing, never had actual doctor or xrays but it sounds like heel spurs type thing although mine was initially brought on by stepping hard onto *very hard pointy* plastic kids' toys in the dark. That went more or less away after a couple years of ooching around and being very picky about shoes; but in recent months I've been doing a lot of sprinting around the backyard practicing dog-agility-class stuff, in not very cushiony mud boots, and my heels have been KILLING me again.

So in the past 2 days I have been doing more calf stretching during the day, and also trying to bring my body forward more over my feet when I walk (I seem to have somewhat permanently adopted the leaning-back 'pregnancy waddle' even though my youngest will be 4 next week :p) which feels weird but also definitely is easier on my heels. Hopefully the improvement will continue.

Thank you all, including the o.p. for starting the thread :)

Pat