Why does my house smell like chlorine after I turned on central air co

Steve Holmes

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We moved into a new house in the month of October and turned on the central air conditioning for the first time , Now my house smells a bit like chlorine. I believe this is due to the refrigerant. But will the smell go away after a while, or do I have to do something about this?

Any advice you can give is appreciated!

Thanks and regards
Steve Holmes

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would have someone check it out! I can think of no GOOD reason for that to happen.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd have to politely disagree with ~gd on this one. Our refrigerant has a slight funny smell the first time we turn our AC on for the summer as well. I wouldn't think it's anything to worry about as long as it's not reoccuring. I'd wait a few days to see if it continues. When we turn the heat on for the first time in winter it smells a bit the first time too. I personally wouldn't be concerned unless it keeps smelling like that.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Alright, the other half sells HVAC equipment, and I just asked him about it for you.
Here is what he said:

It could be bacteria in the indoor coil, which (I think) is something that they call "dirty sock syndrome," google it for more info.

You can also have your ducts clean, and check the drain pan for mold/bacteria.

If it persists, you'll need to have someone come out and check the inside of the coil. If it turns out to be "dirty sock syndrome" you'll need to have the coil replaced.

Hope that helps, for whatever it is worth. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to assist. If you're somewhere in the midatlantic region I might be able to offer more support as that is where the other half's company covers. I may be able to get a referral for you for someone to come look at it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ew@dirty sock syndrome :sick Mine never smells anything like dirty socks..thank God! :lol:

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I'd have to politely disagree with ~gd on this one. Our refrigerant has a slight funny smell the first time we turn our AC on for the summer as well. I wouldn't think it's anything to worry about as long as it's not reoccuring. I'd wait a few days to see if it continues. When we turn the heat on for the first time in winter it smells a bit the first time too. I personally wouldn't be concerned unless it keeps smelling like that.
Disagree all you want, I have read down to your double post. If the OP had said anything about the smell being other than chlorine I wpuld have said the same as you. mold, dirty water, dead rodents [i once found a live black snake in my duct work] those are all natural smells. chlorine is not otten found in nature. Chlorine is in refrigerent, at least in the older units. The one time in 20+ years that I smelled Chlorine on start up I did nothing leaking internal coil finally burned out my unit $2K to replace! But it is his unit and not my problem.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think the regular old start up smells like a bit like chlorine :hu

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've removed several posts from this thread that had nothing to do with the OP's question.

Please remember (from the rules):

DO:
* Be friendly and courteous to all members at all times.

DONT:
4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntarily, so please be considerate when posting.
5. No teasing, mocking, ridiculing, or otherwise making fun at other member's expense.
7. No Fighting. Taking a personal conflict to the forum is unacceptable. "I'm right, you're wrong" threads and posts will be edited or deleted.

Thank you! :D

...And now back to our regularly scheduled program...er, thread...;)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i know sometimes my inwodw ac unit has a slight swimmingpool smel the firs ttime its turned on in the season. if it doesnt go away within 24-48 hours (48 hours is pushing it if the nit is being left on but not if you put it on for an hour then turned it off ect) then id get it checked, but i kinda personally expect funny smells out of ac and heat units for the first 12-24 hours after theyve been sat an entire season.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Even though it stinks spending the money when times are tight I would just have the unit checked and serviced. I do the AC in the spring and the furnance in the winter.Only thing I even smelled was a burnt smell from the furnace at start up in the fall.AC never gave off anything.