Why I will never get to eat rabbit....

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Dh tells this story A LOT! And after a friend told me she got to have rabbit for dinner, I was reminded of why he doesn't rabbit hunt anymore.

Approximately 14-15 years ago DH was rabbit hunting with his dad...He would have been approximately 21/22 yrs old....he shot a rabbit. He and his dad went to pick up the rabbit and DH says, "Dad, it's still moving!"

DH then reaches down and picks up the still moving rabbit....The rabbit isn't moving, its fur is moving!

DH was so grossed out! The poor rabbit was so loaded in fleas, Dh said that was all you saw, so many fleas that the fur moved from the fleas wiggling around!

:ep

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, well thank god it was just fleas and not something else :lol:
like ticks, oh yeah they dont move they just latch on......I guess they could be called land leeches.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My son has been itching to go out hunting rabbits. Wanted to go last weekend, and this weekend. but it's been so rainy here. He brought me 6 home last year. I love them.

Never seen fleas on a rabbit before though.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Me neither! I've heard of wild rabbits having warbles but never heard of fleas, but most animals have them, I guess.

You could eat them if you raise your own........hint, hint! ;) Mine never had fleas....just clean, soft fur. :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Warbles is why you don't hunt them in the summer--also b/c they are not in season in summer. We only hunt them fall and winter. I sure would hate to see the skin crawling....

I'm raising my own, but I still want my wonderful son to bring me dinner home. He sure was proud last year when he broght me the rabbits.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The whole flea thing on rabbits is nasty. If my dog or cat kills one the fleas immediately jump ship and land of them. It really does look like their fur is moving.