1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Support for Sumi - The Supporting Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Why Mushrooms Are Important

Discussion in 'Resource Conservation - Water, Air, Earth, Etc.' started by abifae, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Jan 13, 2011
    abifae

abifae Abinormal Butterfly

2. Dec 22, 2011
    The Old Ram-Australia

The Old Ram-Australia Lovin' The Homestead

G'day Abi,my view would be that mushrooms are a key indicator of a "healthy and active state of soil biology",as well as "damm good eating".IMO a healthy soil produces "healthy grasses,etc" and so contributes to "healthy stock".............T.O.R...........................

3. Dec 22, 2011
    ~gd

~gd Lovin' The Homestead

Hi RAM! around here [nc] Mushrooms are only found where Broad leaved wood is either buried or in contact with the ground. Never found in the pine woods or even in brought in broad leaf litter or compost. There appears to be something in the wood itself thst they need. I have bought kits to grow them which consist of hardwood usually oak which contains both live growth and the spoors. The live growth gives a good supply the first year that tapers off as the spooes kick in. mine have never been productive beyond 5 years ecen with oak leaves used as compost.~gd

4. Dec 22, 2011
    me&thegals

me&thegals A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover

DH built oyster mushroom totems from boxelder logs this past year. It was really neat to watch them fruit for the first time this year, even into Dec! He also did winecaps on a large woodchip bed. Hoping for even more of those next year...

5. Dec 22, 2011
    The Old Ram-Australia

G'day ,down here we are fortunate to have var's of "mushies"that occur naturally in the fields and pasture.They can be quite large and can easily be the size of a "dinner plate".I have noted that on farms that use "excessive" amounts of herb-asides and chem fert's,that this seem's to inhibit the spores and so they die out in the environment

Our own management style is drawn from many of the existing facets of Agriculture and because we do not "fit" any one box,we are accepted by none and our methods are rejected by them all.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above photo's illustrate how the "strength" of our soil biology was able to repair the impact of a herb=aside treatment for a weed which IMO can "only" be controlled by spot spray application.......................T.O.R..........................

6. Dec 23, 2011
    Marianne

Marianne Almost Self-Reliant

TOR, those pictures are great evidence of what you are doing! :thumbsup

Me&gals, you are lucky! If I grew some mushrooms and served them on a plate? DH would think that was proof enough that I was trying to poison him. :D

7. Dec 23, 2011
    FarmerChick

FarmerChick Super Self-Sufficient

8. Dec 27, 2011
    The Old Ram-Australia

G'day Gang,Jenny picked these for me while she was out for a walk today.
    [​IMG]

In the words of Crocodile Dundee,"NOW THAT'S A MUSHROOM".........................

Hope you raise a smile from this one?.......................T.O.R...................