why oh why potatoes

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
this year, pototoes died back early. digging them up and nothing is there! maybe 2-3 marble sized potatoes but the plant is dead.
what happened? never seen this in more than a decade of potatoe growing. could it be tooo much water?

seems as if the potatoes in the lower garden, which are still growing, are doing fine.

Also, the few tomatoes in the upper garden have been dying on the vine,too. something isn't right!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Same here! My tops are all dead and when I dug up one plant a couple weeks ago marble and golf ball size! We have had plenty of rain here too and so signs of any parasites or bugs.

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hah! I've never heard of too much rain being a problem once the plants start to grow. It sure is disapointing but I guess you get a bum crop every now and then.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Ditto. Everythin below the soil line was dead and shriveled. Here I figured it was the heat. Not one darned potato! :barnie

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The red pontiacs we planted did fine (excellent, in fact). But the yukon golds and kennebecs were like alien plants and only a few potatoes. We planted 150 lbs expecting to harvest at least 1000 lbs. but were sadly disappointed. At this point we've ruled out anything to do with our soil and can only assume it was a problem with the seed potatoes - they came from a different place than usual. :idunno

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hmmm. curiouser and curiouser. I have my own seed potatoes, so i don't think it was a problem with that. Had tons and tons of rain, so much that some of my fruit trees yellowed, and tomatoes split daily.

seemed as if the potatoes got planted a little earlier this year, and even so, were dead much earlier than i expected.

I'll have to get new seed pototoes next year, but usually I just buy organic potatoes and plant them. cheaper than seed potatoes, funny enough.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Uh-oh. That is making me think of late blight, which is devastating to both tomatoes and potatoes. Can you Google pix of late blight and see if that is what has happened. No idea, though, why your potatoes have not developed fully by now though. When were they planted? Have they had severe stress, like drought, flooding or bugs? Sorry you are having this problem...

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I planted potatoes a few years ago, and nothing happened, but the following year we had tons! :gig

This year it seems my cucumbers are not playing the game, they must be 6ft tall at least and I got one tiny round green one, and the lemon yellows have given me 2. Very odd. Lots of flowers but then nothing.
:/