wide scale preparations scenario

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last week I was checking out different websites and found something like "Mormons 1 year plan" and the top "100 items that disappear first" in a disaster or panic and caught myself doing a mental checklist and thought about a wide scale/long term prep plan. And of course, I can't seem to find them again to include them here.

What if all the USA (or other country) was shut down.

You only had what you have on hand or able to barter for-supplies, food, skills, etc. including 1 vehicle with a full tank of gas and 1 spare 5 gal can.
No stores, no gas stations, no banks and the dollar was worthless. No power, no phone and no running water (it takes power to run the pumps-even city water)

Just how long could you possibly survive under these conditions? Are you prepared?

I know we're not by a long shot.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Even if you were already completely self sufficient, you would have to spend all your time defending your property from the people who want to steal your food. Sad, but true.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Between the four dogs, the small armory, the Iraq vet, and me throwing eggs, we'd be pretty safe.

xpc, I'm sure your house would be protected by your ferocious pibbles :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can handle 6 months of living easy........
while that happened I would work the farm even harder for longer preps

but of course the scenario has to be considered etc. So 6 mos. of life I know I could handle....after that a crapshoot depending on situation

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think a major advantage here would be the fact that my house backs up to Lake Lurleen state park. I'd have venison and gamey wild ducks :D
Not that I'm advocating poaching, but in that kind of scenario, conservation wouldn't be my priority.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Between the four dogs, the small armory, the Iraq vet, and me throwing eggs, we'd be pretty safe.

I am happy to say that I didn't know what a pibble was, I searched and found that it is a silly ebonic term and holds no rank in the human language. Thanks for bringing it to my attention as i will be saying it to the drive thru chick at McDonald's next time pitbull licks her fingers - she loves it and sticks her hand in the car.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
xpc said:
Occamstazer said:

I am happy to say that I didn't know what a pibble was, I searched and found that it is a silly ebonic term and holds no rank in the human language. Thanks for bringing it to my attention as i will be saying it to the drive thru chick at McDonald's next time pitbull licks her fingers - she loves it and sticks her hand in the car.
Wasn't thinking of it that way, really. Big pits are just so jolly, they make me say undignified baby things and I just can't help it :lol:

And you're right, things like "oooo goo goo! whose a feriocious pibble?" belong in no human language...:lol:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I don't think we would last long.

People we know are already expecting us to give them freebies all the time. I expect a whole bunch of them to show up at our door, expecting to be housed and fed! And that's just the people we know, never mind the rest of the people in our neighborhood. They'll expect to come and help themselves no doubt. I doubt the 2 of us could fend off the hordes no matter how much ammo we might have stored up :lol:

I'd probably pack up as much survival stuff as we could cram in and on our vehicle and head off to SIL's get-away property an hour away, but in rugged mountain country with a creek running through the property, but no power. I think it would be a good place to hunker down and start over. I would think that is where she would go too. Her hubby is good at building stuff and has many survival skills. I think between the four of us we would have a good chance of making it work.