Wifezilla & other duck people - ? about Indian runner ducks

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Are they pretty self-sufficient? We have a pond and are looking for some ducks that will keep the duckweed down. Someone is offering Indian runner ducks for free on Craigslist. I have heard that there are some ducks who will nest in trees, so you don't need to build them a house.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I don't think they can fly so they'd need some sort of shelter. I have three that are supposedly half runner duck and they do a great job foraging all day but at night they come into the barn and chow on chicken feed so I don't really know how self sufficient they might be... but I don't have a large pond for them either.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Are they pretty self-sufficient? We have a pond and are looking for some ducks that will keep the duckweed down. Someone is offering Indian runner ducks for free on Craigslist. I have heard that there are some ducks who will nest in trees, so you don't need to build them a house.
Of domestic ducks,Only Muscovy ducks nest in trees and only the females and only when they are trying to hatch eggs. when the eggs hatch the baby ducks have to jump from the nest to get to the ground to get food and water so start thinking where you are going to house your ducks before you buy them. Indian runners are pretty good about feeding themselves in India. If you live where it snows you had better be thinking about what they are going to be eating before you buy them. Do you get the drift? research your bird's needs BEFORE YOU BUY THEM! ~gd

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My runners are confined in a fenced yard. They do enjoy free ranging, though. They do not come inside the chicken coop much, though some of them lay their eggs in there and one did go broody in the coop. They tend to stay outside in the rain and snow. This was the first year I lost a duck (a Saxony) to a predator (coon), but I do have geese in with my ducks.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
~gd said:
curly_kate said:
Of domestic ducks,Only Muscovy ducks nest in trees and only the females and only when they are trying to hatch eggs. when the eggs hatch the baby ducks have to jump from the nest to get to the ground to get food and water so start thinking where you are going to house your ducks before you buy them. Indian runners are pretty good about feeding themselves in India. If you live where it snows you had better be thinking about what they are going to be eating before you buy them. Do you get the drift? research your bird's needs BEFORE YOU BUY THEM! ~gd
I think it depends on your variety of Muscovy, ~gd Mine are the large white variety, more of a meat type. They could fly for a couple of weeks of their life when they were first feathered out, but only the females, and by the time they were adults, all are much too large to be supported by their wings. They also do not swim in their pond unless I make them go in. Maybe my muscovy are weird? :hu

I think almost all other ducks (like runners) need to swim, am I right?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Runners are generally busy, active foragers IME. They will be MORE than happy to take care of that duckweed for you :D. They can't fly worth a darn so no worry about clipping wings. You will need to get them something secure for night time or they will quickly become snacks for your local wildlife. Also make sure there are no snapping turtles in your pond. The big ones will bite off feet or even kill the ducks.

And while you can raise runners without a pond, they do have healthier feathers and are happier (from what I can tell :) ) if they have swimming water. It can be as little as a kiddie pool, but bathing and preening mating are all centered around the pool. They are very key to duck society.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, guys! I don't know anything about ducks, so I wanted to consult some experts before I do anything.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Are any of these ducks female??? Indian Runners are egg laying champs. They make chickens look like total slackers! 300+ eggs per year and they are bigger than a jumbo chicken egg.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Ah! A bachelor flock. Yeah, they will look ridiculous, eat bugs, munch weeds and poop a lot. All things that can be turned to your advantage. If you decide you like ducks after getting these fellows, you can always breed them with female welsh harlequins if you want hens that will set their own clutches.

Latest posts