Wild Game for Pets

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have carnivorous pets like ferrets, dogs, and cats. The best kind of diet is one that consists of raw meat, meaty bones, and whole prey. My ferrets go through 1lb a day and if I were to switch my dog and cats over, then I'd be going through 30lbs a week!

I don't like buying meat from the store because I don't know how the animals were cared for before slaughter. I can't raise my own meat animals because I live in a townhouse with a small backyard. I am currently attempting to raise mice for the ferrets, but mice can only provide so much.

I am trying to find someone in my area who hunts and could sell me wild game they hunt. I'd be ok with fishing, but I don't think I could bring myself to kill a larger animal like a deer. So are there any cuts of meat that hunters normally discard or don't need? Do you think hunters would hunt and sell the meat to someone like me who needs it?

Any advice?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Don't know about "there" but here--your not allowed to sell wild game. Most hunters I know--try not to waste any part of the deer or whatever they are hunting. We certainly don't. It's possible you could call up your version or our Canadian Ministry of Natural Resources--and see what they do with all the roadkill they get.

Other than that--no ideas.

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Roadkill is a no for me. I'm trying to find any way to get humanely raised meat, especially if hunters can't sell me wild game. Is there a reason behind it?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Talk to your FFA chapter at your local high school. The one in my town has a meat cutting class where they process local farmer's meats while the kids learn.

I know not all high schools will have the class, but the chapter may know a local farmer who processes for themselves and others. They just throw away the scraps and bones. I hope to buy a second hand freezer by next fall so I can glean some of these kinds of left overs. I would freeze them in meal size packets for the dogs and cats.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
In most states, the selling of wild game is illegal. I believe that the idea may be to keep it more of a sport and less of a business, but that's just my guess. There are states that do allow "wild" game to be farm raised, and it is legal to sell the meat in that case.

However, it would seem that is wild game were not a problem for you, then fresh road kill would be a viable alternative. Be aware though, that a good many states have laws regarding the use of even road killed wild game. We have a local character that has an old truck, with a huge home made bump, which he uses for just this purpose. And yes, he is breaking state law when he does it.

Another cheap source for fresh "meat" might be chicken necks, pig tails, and such. These types of "meats" are relatively cheap, when compared to your normal table fare.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Go to all the processers in your area. They do throw a lot of stuff away nowadays, as I discovered, by talking to a processer in CT and my dad talked to one (l'abattoir) in ME. People often don't want to deal with the tongue, heart, liver, and other organs. Also the head and leg bones are tossed in the trash. There are many other neglected organs that can be used as pet food. But be away that straight meat is too rich for dogs, but great for cats. I have no clue about ferrets!

You'll need a freezer, as this stuff is most abundant "in season" in the fall.

I wouldn't do roadkill, either. You have no idea if the animal wandered into the road because it was already ill.

You might work out a trade with someone on the QT. ;)

Possessing game meat can be a crime in some states, too. Get all the information first.

Good for you for wanting to feed your pets a more natural diet! :clap

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ferrets are very similar to cats in their dietary needs. I am not wanting to use roadkill. I'm not really sure I want to use processing plants either because of the "humane raising" issue. Wild game has lived its life in a natural setting so that is humane in my book.

My grandfather hunts deer, but the deer season is over. Ferrets do best on small game like rabbits, squirrel, birds, ect. Would there be any humane way of getting this kind of game?

I want to raise button quail and rabbits, but I live with my mother in law and she is not allowing me to get any new animals due to the fact I already have so many animals (4 cats, 4 ferrets, 1 small dog, 5 breeding mice, 2 rats, 1 bird, and 12 snakes).

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The smaller processers will cut up game and other animals for individuals. Many hunters don't cut up their own deer nowadays, same with people who raise a steer or a pig or two. That is what I meant, so get out the phone book, or stop in at the local butcher's, they will know who the local processers are. They may be a bit off the beaten path.

I found some of this out by accident when I was looking for pork fat to make my own lard. The owner said to come back next Aug-Sept during the "season" and he can give me, free, many pounds of fat that he will be throwing out.

I'm gonna make goat's milk soap next winter!!!

These people also cut up the animals for people who grow grass-fed beef, etc, which by their very nature are humanely raised, in general. My dad got hearts, livers, and tongues last fall that came from grass-fed steers. For free. The best price!

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I only know of one true butcher in the area but I'll give the yellow pages a look. He only sells "prime cuts" and doesn't sell anything else. I live in the suburbs of Richmond, Va, so I'll have some looking to do to find someone who humanely raises meat animals.

Latest posts