WildSky*** Look what I found!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I have one of those, tripod and all! ! The neighbor lady gave it to us, but I haven't had time to clean it and figure out something to cook in it. I was thinking something along the lines of a seafood gumbo........

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
I have one of those, tripod and all! ! The neighbor lady gave it to us, but I haven't had time to clean it and figure out something to cook in it. I was thinking something along the lines of a seafood gumbo........
Look on line for Potjie recipes, or Potjiepot/potjiekos recipes... :drool

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Awsome find!!! When I lived in NC as a teen, we would cut Cypress Knees, boil them in that pot, then cover them in clear-coat....they make great door stops, or even just ornamentals. After boiling a few, the water would turn red, so you could peel the bark and actually dye the wood....very pretty.

I would love to come across one that didn't cost an arm and a leg, or that had both handles, or wasn't cracked or too thin at the bottom...*sigh*

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I have one of those, no lid and do use it for anything but not cooking food.

Warning!!!!When buying used cast iron, it is difficult to know what it was used for.

I bought a cool good sized pot on legs with a lid off Ebay. It was everything I wanted to cook over the fire in the fireplace. When it arrived it had a weird color in the bottom, silvery and black metallic, which the photos failed to show. I contacted the seller who had no idea what it was used for and casually suggested I send it back on my dime(cast iron ain't cheap to ship). I kept it, continued asking around and learned that it was most likely used to smelt lead for sinkers and bullets.
I also learned that many used Dutch Ovens for lead. Whatever got the job done. Just not a comfort zone for me.