Will be sorry to see yard sales season end

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I have found so many things at yard sales this year! I hope to see another 4 weeks before they disappear for the year. Yesterday I stopped at one on my way to work. Really didn't have the time but made it to work with one minute to spare!
I got a 6 taper candle mold, never used for 50c. I just looked it up on Lehmans' and another sight and they are going for $45 to $52 plus tax, S&H. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it with that 50c price because I bought one in 1975 for $20 and I knew they were valuable.
I have a candelabra that uses tapers and emits a lot of light. I will be making tapers of all colors!
Yay for yard sales!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Last year we had one at my house on the Friday after Thanksgiving. We posted signs at Walmart so all the Black Friday shoppers would see them! Season's not over here. We had enough success that we're doing it again this year!

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Down here we have them all year, unless its pouring rain or freezing..which our winters lately are like maybe 2 weeks of anything below 50 degrees! I miss a real winter. With fire pits, hot chocolate...sorry, I am rambling... :hit
I have found so many cool things at yard sales..but thats awesome what you found, Sylvie!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of something wonderful.

Two years ago, my best friend's husband died of metastatic skin cancer. He was another of my best friends. He was not insured and while the physicians wrote off a lot of his bills, his widow still had to pay about $50,000. He was a well loved man, and much of it came in via donations, but there was some shortfall.

A group of us organized what turned out to be the largest private garage sale in our city's history. We had 30 tables, and five king sized sheets on the ground for clothing (organized by size).

It was a completely awesome experience. Dozens of volunteers helped out from way before dawn, their kids as well making cookies and cupcakes for a bake sale. It started at 7 AM, and at 630 we had 50 people standing on the sidewalk waiting for the all clear.

After the sale was over, we counted $4500. And then came the clincher. A man at the sale slipped a note to one of the workers, pledging to match all the funds we raised. He came through, and our yard sale earled $9000. The bake sale made $300. The kids were blown away !

Just waxing nostalgic at the goodness of people.