Will garter snakes kill chicks?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We have this cute little snake out front we are sure it is a garter snake. We have lots of them around here, it could be we are seeing several, but I think it is often the same one.

We just got new baby chicks and their enclosure does have wee little ventilation holes and a snake could indeed slip through there.

I've caught the snake several times to show the kids, or the snake(s)......do I need to kill or relocate a garter snake to protect chicks? They are only a few days old.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
We have this cute little snake out front we are sure it is a garter snake. We have lots of them around here, it could be we are seeing several, but I think it is often the same one.

We just got new baby chicks and their enclosure does have wee little ventilation holes and a snake could indeed slip through there.

I've caught the snake several times to show the kids, or the snake(s)......do I need to kill or relocate a garter snake to protect chicks? They are only a few days old.
I've never heard of garter snakes bothering chicks.

Once those cute chicks get a little bigger, you may want to think of protecting the snake from the chickens!!!! :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well last time I used this pen, it was chicks with a broody hen. I wasn't worried about the chicks then!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
From gartersnakes.com

Garter snakes will eat close to everything that they are able to overpower. Cold blooded animals such as frogs, toads or earthworms are some of what garter snakes eat. They also consume slugs, leeches, lizards, insects such as spiders, rodents, amphibians, insects and birds.

When garter snakes live or are close to the water, they would prey on other aquatic invertebrates or mammals but particularly favors frogs (even tadpoles) and fish. Garter snakes that have grown bigger in size can feed on salamanders or even a waterfowl. Although they prefer live animals, they can also feed on eggs and amphibian larvae.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I would think chicks too then.

Maybe I'll walk him really far away into the woods. He has been such a nice little snake, I don't mind if he kills slugs and rodents!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Yeh. Have anywhere with mice you need eaten? LOL

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We have rodents everywhere. My cats love it. They remind me of the cats from the Joni Mitchell song Lady of the Canyon.....all are fat and none are thin.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I love Joni Mitchel!!! I have all her albums :D

Amira loves mice too.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
She is one of my old favs. Do you know the song? It is the one about Mama Cass.

The only snakes in that CANYON she was singing about was rattlesnakes! (Topanga canyon).