1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 4 Thieves Vinegar - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

wind farms heating up the earth??

Discussion in 'Other Power Generation - Wind, Hydro, Geothermal, ' started by elwood, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Apr 30, 2012
    elwood

elwood Almost Self-Reliant

2. May 1, 2012
    DeniseCharleson

DeniseCharleson Power Conserver

They're bringing warmer air down during times of an inversion, just as wind machines do for orchards and vineyards during spring freezes, to prevent frost damage. They are "warming a small piece of ground," not "warming the earth."

3. May 1, 2012
    Wannabefree

Wannabefree Little Miss Sunshine

I dunno that i'd consider it a small piece of ground...lots of those wind farms are huge and could affect large areas. Just my opinion.

4. May 1, 2012
    Mr.Andersson

Mr.Andersson Power Conserver

IMO, our urban footprint does the same thing, we build a road, house, etc, it all has an impact on the environment. Localized warming is all though, I believe the cycles of the sun have more to do with the larger picture of global warming.

5. May 1, 2012
    Wannabefree

I don't really believe in "global warming" as it is most often described. I do believe the sun accounts for most, but I think it's just normal cyclic activity myself. Yeah we contribute a few degrees here or there in urban areas, but I think the big picture is it's all the suns fault :lol: Who knows...years ago we were gonna freeze to death by now :hu They'll change their minds again soon and we can worry about something new ;)

6. May 1, 2012
    MorelCabin

MorelCabin Quilting Extraordinaire

Yup, they'll always have us worrying about something...if we let them

7. May 1, 2012
    k15n1

k15n1 Almost Self-Reliant

Dams have an effect on everything downstream, so I'm not surprised that windmills have an effect.

This article highlights the fallacy of composition---what's good for individuals may not be good for a group. A windmill on your property probably won't disrupt weather, but thousands of huge windmills probably will. Peeing on a tree isn't a problem, but a city without sewers is a disaster.

I'm an advocate for the other alternative energy---people power. If we had a better idea how much energy was needed to keep up with so-called modern lifestyles, I think we'd re-consider many of our activities.

8. May 1, 2012
    DeniseCharleson

The surface of the earth is approximately 500,000,000 square km. What percentage of that do you estimate is affected by bringing down air that is 1-2C warmer than the surface, for a few hours of the early morning, on some days?

9. May 1, 2012
    Wannabefree

Depends on where you live, here, is 0% affected, but right by the wind farms I'm guessing 100% ;)

10. May 2, 2012
    DeniseCharleson

Then the wind farms aren't "heating up the earth."