Wind or Solar?

DeafMomof4

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I live in North Florida. Trying to think of a way to save on energy bills and such. Which would be the best to pick in Florida? Solar or Wind power?

Reaction score
DeafMomof4 said:
I live in North Florida. Trying to think of a way to save on energy bills and such. Which would be the best to pick in Florida? Solar or Wind power?
Probably solar. Wind generation requires pretty high avg winds

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, that would depend on your specific area, which I am not familiar with. I know around here, wind would be the best way to go year round. It is a rare day here that we don't have wind. What other people consider windy, we consider a breeze. :) Summer is nice and sunny, but winter we hardly ever see the sun. It is usualy grey, and while you can still collect solar during grey days, our best bet would be wind power. So, you would have to consider what is your strongest resource.

ga_goat

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm just across the line here in south Ga. and neither will work here ,, got too many shade trees for solar and wind enough to do any good for power only happens during storms . Even back in the 'good old days ' there were very few windmills around here they had to use hand powered pumps . I have a cousin over near the coast that uses wind but they have a breeze all day and nite with the tide flow .

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
In Colorado, the answer could easily be BOTH. We have plenty of wind and sun. Have you looked at the new urban wind turbines? They are shaped like DNA and can work in low wind...

"Beckers Chicago company, Aerotecture International, is just one of a growing number that is developing rooftop wind turbine technology. Unlike the towering, free-standing commercial variety, these vertical-axis wind turbines extend from buildings, capturing winds blowing from any direction. Some can generate electricity in conditions running the gamut from 8-mile-per-hour breezes to 100-mile-per-hour gusts a range nearly three times that of conventional, horizontal-axis turbines.

New rooftop wind turbines dont have the same problems as their predecessors: Theyre safer for wildlife, quieter, and dont vibrate violently in howling winds. And, at as little as $3,000, theyre increasingly affordable. Obstacles to widespread implementation remain, but the number of buildings crowned with spinning turbines climbs every year. "
http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/stories/a-mighty-wind

Here's an instructible to make your own...
http://www.instructables.com/id/Horizontal-Double-Helix-Wind-Turbine/

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Many areas lack consistantly-strong-enough winds for wind turbines to be a sensible option. There are maps, you could probably google 'em up, of GENERAL geographical wind values; but there is also your particular site to consider (e.g. a hilltop will be windier than a valley).

A thing to remember about either of them is vulnerability to storms; even in N Florida, I would think that the ability for the (expensive!) equipment to survive hurricanes and vigorous t'storms would be important, and things sticking way up on poles would be riskier.

All of this requires pretty high initial investment though. Your cheapest ways to save on energy bills would probably be more along the lines of:

-- insulation
-- more insulation
-- alter landscaping to keep home cooler
-- alter draperies and house use habits to keep home cooler in
summer and warmer in winter
-- whole-house fan to cool house quickly on summer nights
-- solar hot-water system

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Many areas lack consistantly-strong-enough winds for wind turbines to be a sensible option. There are maps, you could probably google 'em up, of GENERAL geographical wind values; but there is also your particular site to consider (e.g. a hilltop will be windier than a valley).

A thing to remember about either of them is vulnerability to storms; even in N Florida, I would think that the ability for the (expensive!) equipment to survive hurricanes and vigorous t'storms would be important, and things sticking way up on poles would be riskier.

All of this requires pretty high initial investment though. Your cheapest ways to save on energy bills would probably be more along the lines of:

-- insulation
-- more insulation
-- alter landscaping to keep home cooler
-- alter draperies and house use habits to keep home cooler in
summer and warmer in winter
-- whole-house fan to cool house quickly on summer nights
-- solar hot-water system

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat
I totally agree...if trying to use solar or wind to save money, you won't really...by the time you buy all the components required for either you will have alot of debt, and a hydro bill as well:>) The only time solar and wind become a good option is if you are going off grid on a new home build...and even at that, it still costs just as much (actually alot more) as getting hydro run and battery replacement takes up any money you thought you might have saved in the process. I have looked into it numerous times, was even looking at making our next home completely off grid...the only thing that really makes it worth it is the idea that we would have power if the SHTF...but do I REALLY want to be the only person for miles around with hydro at that point? All things considered, I think NOT :>)
Now I did learn something really interesting with this new home...PASSIVE SOLAR is a very real option, and it works! Our windows just happen to be in the right places and face the right direction that this house gets an abundance of heating assistance in the winter, and in the summer with the sun being so high in the sky, our home stays cool without air conditioning. Now this was quite accidental, we didn't plan it that way...but I have to say I will be looking more closely at home design and window direction if we ever decide to build again!
Look into passive solar...that is about the best bet out there as far as I am concerned

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
MorelCabin said:
PASSIVE SOLAR is a very real option, and it works!
Although, since the o.p. is in Florida, passive solar tends to be more the PROBLEM than the solution... LOL

Pat
LOL! You may be right again Pat...LOL! I am stuck on Northern Ontario solutions...LOL!