Windmill for water circulation

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have been thinking about a small windmill to provide water circulation for my pond. The only problem is when I search for windmills for ponds, I keep finding these HUGE systems that cost thousands of dollars.

Is there a small one that would work? The 6'-8' models look about the right size for my yard, but they are decorative and don't have the ability to pump water.

Anyone have a brand I should be looking for?

My pond is only around 500 gallons.

1003428b.jpg

On the far right you see the filter tub. The water cascades through a few growing trays and then goes back in to the pond. I want to expand the number of growing trays next year, but will still use the same filter and let gravity move it through the trays.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I have not seen small ones, although they may be out there.

I believe I *have* seen small solar-powered pond fountains, though. (Not to where I could point you to a particular source, but I am under the impression they are not hard to find) Would you consider something like that?

In principle you could add gears to a decorative one and rig up a simple stirrer, but I would be concerned about lack of a mechanism to disengage during strong winds and consequent damage (possibly total) to the mechanism as a whole... if it were me, I would go the solar route, although possibly that means I'm lazy :p

(e.t.a. - is it going to be a problem not to have constant circulation, though? I am concerned that when pumping stops, as when the wind drops or night falls [unless you have a good battery], the water will all drain out of the upper tiers and into the lower pond, causing death of things in the upper tiers and flooding out of the lower one. Is this a problem?)

Good luck,

Pat

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I am concerned that when pumping stops, as when the wind drops or night falls [unless you have a good battery], the water will all drain out of the upper tiers and into the lower pond, causing death of things in the upper tiers and flooding out of the lower one. Is this a problem?
The only thing that would be a problem for is the mosquito larvae. But since they weren't invited in the first place...too darn bad for them! LOL

Plus this is Colorado. Not much time when the wind isn't blowing :D

I will look in to solar too. I am not married to any particular technology, though I do like the nostalgia factor for the windmill.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
The only thing that would be a problem for is the mosquito larvae.
And you'd have to add new water every morning, because whatever volume of the upper tiers is above the water level of the bottom pool would flood out and be lost ;)

Pat

Wifezilla

Reaction score
No...they don't flood out. Even when the breaker on the electric trips it just drains back in to the pond. That is not a concern at all.

toxo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I have been thinking about a small windmill to provide water circulation for my pond. The only problem is when I search for windmills for ponds, I keep finding these HUGE systems that cost thousands of dollars.
This is something I've thought about for years. I will get around to doing it one day. My Idea (and I don't suppose for a minute that it hasn't been thought of before) Is to build a tripod to whatever level your wind is at, then put a wind catcher on the top with a shaft going down to a simple pump. The sort you put in a drill would do it. This on it's own should work for a mechanical filter like gravel and sand but if you want a biological filter you'll have to have a backup system for when the wind doesn't blow.

Paul

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
This may work for you if the height from the bottom pond to the top one is under 30 inches. Take the spay head off and place the pump in the bottom pond and run a small hose to the top pond.

Save yourself some energy by utilizing the power of the sun to pump water through your already existing or newly created pond/water display.

* Max. water lift height: 2.62 ft.
* Max. flow rate: 42 gallons per hour
* Can power your remote project where previous energy was not available
* Kit contains several tip heads for a wide variety of spray styles
* Includes: (1) submersible pump, (1) solar panel, (4) fountain heads, (3) nozzle adapters, and (4) nozzle extension tubes
* Peak power of solar panel: 1.2 watt
* Operative voltage: 7 volts

Solar panel dimensions: 4-3/4" L x 4-3/8" W x 5/8" H; Submersible pump dimensions: 2-1/2" L x 1-3/8" W x 1-15/16" H; Assembled dimensions: 2-1/2" L x 1-3/8" W x 11-1/4" H; Cable length: 16 ft. $20

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66093

-------------------------------

I bought one of these to test wind in my area, when the wind blows it really spins like the devil but I don't get much around here at ground level. I have an old battery operated drill that I took apart and will mount it to the blades on top of a 10' piece of electrical conduit as soon as I get some time.

Rid your yard or garden of moles. This decorative windmill creates a ruckus underground, sending moles packing.

* Two-piece natural wood pole with varnished finish
* Stainless steel T-tube
* ABS mounting stake won't rust

Overall height: 55", 33" diameter blade span. $8

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93666