Window film

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I've been wanting to test this window film for a while now and always forgot about it until I was at the autozone getting a drive belt for my lawn tractor and they had a display out. This is suppose to block 95% of visible light, I don't know how much UV it will block but will find out over the next week of testing, it is the UV content that carries most of the heat from the sun.

window_film.jpg

I actually got it to block the morning sun from my bedroom window but had some left over for my west window that gets 1pm to 6pm sun. It looks black from the outside and is easy enough to see through from the inside (at least during the day). The big window is 4' x 5' and is a dual pane as is all my windows I just installed, you can not I repeat not put this on the inside of a multi-pane window or you can damage them and blow the seals out.

This is why I got the window cling type rather than the cheaper film kind. It is truly a pain to put on by yourself and I probably looked like a kitten playing with a piece of sticky tape. It is made of a heavier vinyl and just sticks on its own and peels easily off for when I will remove to harvest the winter sun for house heating. A 2' x 6.5' roll was $11 and would need two for my big picture windows but think it will save on air conditioning.

Since this must go on the outside I will have to see how weather and storm proof these will be before buying any more.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
:hide Ok....how would it harm the windows again if you put it on the inside? And you put it on the outside of your windows? Was it hard to cut to the size you needed? Sorry, lol! I am new to this but I could use this idea here in Texas......

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
:hide Ok....how would it harm the windows again if you put it on the inside? And you put it on the outside of your windows? Was it hard to cut to the size you needed? Sorry, lol! I am new to this but I could use this idea here in Texas......
I have not seen it happen in real life but the window manufacture says not to do it, all the heat that is reflected gets trapped between the two sheets of glass and heat it up to where it either blows the seals out or cracks the glass. If the seal blows you can get moisture trapped inside and get condensation when winter comes. This does not affect older single glazed windows.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We have this film on a large single pane window. It was on the window when we moved in 9 years ago. It had been on the window for many years before that. It definitely is cooler on the shaded window compared to one of our unshaded windows. It also does protect from uv, things that sit in the window have not faded as they would in an unshaded window. I don't know exactly what type of film was put on this large window, but I for one am glad it os there.
There is still plenty of heat coming through the window, it is just reduced. On hot summer days, we still pull the curtain shut.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have been using the kind you put on the inside of your window in our sunroom double pane windows for more two years without issue :fl. It made a huge difference for us temperature wise. Also I like how it looks like a mirror you can't see in from the outside during the day for privacy also. For the small investment I think the film is worth a try. HD and Lowes sell it pretty cheap.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I have a neighbor with this film on his windows. It really adds privacy. I've daydreamed of creating a roller blind of this that I could use at times instead of venetian blinds or drapes for privacy. I don't like the idea of a permanent darkening.
Interesting reading this.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
If you had fairly wide vertical blinds you could cut and glue strips of the film to them and then be able to twist them to face in or out for summer winter mode, shiny on the inside would help keep the heat inside.

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SO if you covered all the windows, your house would have black windows? Hey that is kinda 'rebel cool', you know?

Pretty soon the cops are gonna outlaw them since they cant see in. Just like they have with cars. I think Im gonna get me a whole set, just to tick them off....

It is cool that they keep things cool inside, though. I do have two large, south facing windows that can use it during the summer. Do I understand you that this stuff is found at auot supply houses?

PS What is that thing in front of the window? Is that one of those terrible gas guzzling, water polluting, money sucking boat thingy gizmo's I've heard about?!
Say it isnt true... :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Very interested in this also. I would be interested in finding out how much it cuts down on heat. I have a patio door, One large bow window, two medium sized windows, and 4 small windows facing SW, and French doors facing south. I have curtains drawn during the day, but it would be nice to be able to actually see out the windows. :)

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Thanks to miss_thenorth requesting that I do extensive testing I was not able to accomplish any house remodeling today and wallowed it away making a silly website with a bunch of numbers instead. I did however between the measurements of 6pm and 6:30pm drive to Tennessee for a case of beer - making websites and charts drys a mans brain.

All of today's 10 hours of work and data can be seen here XPC's film test, it was too big to put in a post so I made a website.

Latest posts