Windowfarm Urban Garden

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
"Weve moved on to sourcing food directly from our apartment windows.

No joke. Thanks to Windowfarms a new movement toward hydroponic, vertical farming in urban areas were growing okra, cherry tomatoes, and lettuce from recycled water bottles in our windowsills.

In todays video, artists/geniuses/Brooklynites Britta Riley and Maya Nayak explain their process, why its important, and why its, well, just plain awesome (it will impress your friends).

Just a heads up: Putting together the kits can get complicated and will require a few errands to get the parts but its well worth having a garden at arms length.

Well bet the farm on that."

http://www.dailycandy.com/new-york/video/79514/Plant-the-Seed

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Very cool! I'd like to see them using soil, however. We just don't know every single nutrient needed for vibrant health, so hydroponics have limitations. Soil might be too heavy, though. Maybe a combination of the two.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
They estimated the cost at $35. I am sure it could be done for less with some scrounging. I imagine the cost is mostly for the bulbs and cords.

If money was really tight you could buy a few parts at a time until you had what you needed and then get started.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Or...
planters1-550x385.jpg

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cool Ldychef2K! I have two of those that I got at the Goodwill store. Was gonna use them to store my garden tools. Now will have to rethink things thru!