Winemakers- Will this work ???

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I want to start a batch of wine today and would love any recipes I can make from this stuff, so I can get started. Most of the websites recipes used too many chemical additives.

I have:

2 and 1/2 gallons of apple juice
4 cans of grape juice concentrate
about 1 cup of pomegranate seeds- mashed up then frozen
a bag of raisins-
5 gallons of bottled (no chlorine) water
Red Star- Montrachet( for reds) or Lalvin- Bourgovin (Burgundy type wine yeast) or Lalvin D-47 (usually for mead making or apple wine)
1 big lemon I could add, if needed for extra acid.

my equipment:

5 gallon water bottle, stopper that fits it, airline tubing and the airlock.

I can sterilize with bleach then rinse it very well, but I'm sensitive to sulfites so I wont be using any Campden type stuff.

S

sunsaver

I haven,t learned anything about making wine yet, not enough grapes. But it sounds like you got a fun project on your hands. Good luck!

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
I'd love to have fresh grapes. I can eat lots of organic grapes, but I get a headache from the regular ones. Probably reacting to a pesticide cause the same thing happened from eating fresh greens before.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It should be fine, especially with all the grape juice and raisins. I'd use a six gallon primary fermenting bucket first, or if you only have a five gallon food grade pail at your disposal, reduce the liquid to bring it to four gallons while in the primary and then use your spring water to top up the carboy when it has settled down. If you put all that right into the carboy you will have a huge mess on your hands (ask me how I know.... :rolleyes: )

Wait.....are you familiar with and comfortable with the method? Just asking about your ingredient list? If so, go for it!!! I'm making five gallons of onion wine as we speak. The veggies are simmering.

eta: and I happen to be sipping on a half glass of last year's raspberry wine, which is WONDERFUL. And I don't like wine.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Hubby made it before, but I'm a first timer. I also want it to taste good. I like zinfandel, merlot, burgundy or ones with a bit of other fruits added usually. Burgundy best for cooking.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Burgundy is best for cooking....until you discover onion wine! And it only takes a half pound each of onions and taters and some raisins to make a gallon. I'm making five this year, it was so good in cooking.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
I need to get some gallon containers but the cider here comes in plastic. I don't know if alcohol would leach plastic chemicals into the wines.

I mentioned Onion wine to hubby but he thought it sounded yucky. This came from a guy that used to make wine from koolaid. . . . Whatever. What kind of yeast would you use in onion wine?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I use the champagne yeast if I don't have something specific listed in the recipe. I don't have a glass of the onion wine, I add it to roasts and sauces. It is phenomenal with pork!

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Oops! I just looked at the water jug and realized it's a 4 gallon jug. So I'm looking for 3 gallon recipes.