Winter Blues

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Does anyone else suffer from winter blues?

Any tips?

Last year was my first year in the snow and ice, freezing winds etc... I found toward the end of winter I became a little depressed, tired of ALL WHITE everything. I could not WAIT to see the green grass and leaves etc.. again.

I'm thinking FAKE plants - but what do you guys do or what would you do?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I usually take a trip to the nearest greenhouse. Hot, humid and lotsa tropical plants. but my winter blues are not b/c of the white--I only wish.... we have grey winters here. Ohhh to be back up north where it is white all winter. then I would be out snowshoeing, ice fishing, Xcountry skiing, snowmobiling... then you are too tired to be blue.:)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I usually take a trip to the nearest greenhouse. Hot, humid and lotsa tropical plants. but my winter blues are not b/c of the white--I only wish.... we have grey winters here. Ohhh to be back up north where it is white all winter. then I would be out snowshoeing, ice fishing, Xcountry skiing, snowmobiling... then you are too tired to be blue.:)
:gig Its white here alright... but most of the time the wind blows HORRIBLE....

On good days or days off work, we drag the kids up and down the driveway behind the quad - them sitting on plastic disks.. we do the hills - its fun coming down, but OH HECK I'm too old for those uphill climbs! :old I just hate seeing bare tree's and just nothing pretty at all - really brings me down.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sunlight exposure, even if you have to bundle up to get it. Lots of warm, cheery reds and golds for throw pillows, duvets, etc. And, the not so natural....occasional trip to a T-Bed. I haven't been able to afford that for a couple of years but I may budget for it this winter, if necessary. I have found that a trip every 2-3 wks really helps me combat cabin fever and winter blues.

And the blue ribbon winner? Buying seeds, starting seeds, planning my garden...that really helps me get through Februweary!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I started seeds too early this year - I was so excited I couldn't stop myself....

Only in MAY can we plant outside.... we're freezing till then. We had our worst snow at the very end of March - it was FUN, but ALOT OF IT.. it totally covered some of our fencing (4foot high) I was terrified the goat would just WALK right on out!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have heard that about tanning beds--planned on going several times but never did. Partly b/c I'm not fond of them, and partly b/c by the time I finally feel like I NEED to go, the seasons start changing.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:D I'm thinking ROSE colored sunglasses might be nice now and then - I bet it would look really pretty!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I use those for driving and you would be surprised at how much brighter and sharper things appear with them on! I love my rose tint driving glasses...especially on a rainy day! :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I sat on my rose coloured glasses MANY years ago, but I know they are really popular in town, in fact many of my kids' friends' parents wear them and love them ! Me, i'm glad mine are broke. :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Usually with the onset of winter, I can't wait for the first snow. I love being in a snug as a bug warm home, fire roaring in the woodburner, popcorn popping, nice warm itchy sweaters (yes I am weird!), and just baking baking baking and not caring how hot the house gets in the process.

Then Christmas passes.

After December 25 I am so sick of the white mess and cold weather and I suffer serious bouts of spring fever from Feb 1 and on.

Spring and Summer do not last long enough.

Yes, I get the blues in winter too. I try to read a book, play with the kids, OR I crochet, make a quilt, work on my cross stitches...these are all what I feel are winter crafts :lol:

Latest posts