Winter Car Kit

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Even growing up in the 70s-80s, Grandma always had bottles of Pepsi in the trunk in case we had an issue while going to town, or over to Pendleton or Kennewick. Very important to have something to drink if you break down in the high desert.

She would have water as well once bottled water was easily available.

Yes, it was glass bottles. We could buy glass at the store until the mid to late 90s.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Nice if you coat up any problem spots ahead of time.

There is a WD-40 with silicone in it. It works very nicely. You can spray along all gaskets to keep them from freezing together.

I haven't used it in locks... but I have used them on chains running through pulleys, on bike chains, and on gaskets. Works very nicely.
Wow thank you! My car doors freeze shut every year.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm getting the idea that winter is a real PIA for you guys!

winter is the easiest season here. i do like all four seasons, but winter is when i can get caught up on indoor projects and things that interest me for reading/studying or working on some computer project.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I put snacks in a metal cash box. Locked to keep teenage boys out 🤣 I think it is mouse proof too

but bears can smell it and they will trash a vehicle to get at it. what a mess... well sealed container only where i was up north. too many bears and some were trained to dumpster dive or would hang out at the dump (until they finally closed it as it was attracting too many bears but also people to watch and feed the bears).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
A little off topic, but

If you have ever had your vehicle in a shop to have tires put on or rotated, check to see if your lug wrench still fits on your lug nuts. Some vehicles have softer metal lug nuts that deform from the pneumatic tools mechanics use, and your lug wrench won't work on them anymore. We found this to be true for 2 of our vehicles. DH was able to find "one piece" lug nuts online that won't deform and replaced them.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Love your idea to keep a change of clothes *sealed in a bag* in your car. I need to do that. The little everyday emergencies are the ones that cost money - like buying a new shirt before a meeting or interview because of a food spill. Or more likely, one of my kids wet their pants, and I don't mean spilling food.

Bag is needed to keep it clean and free of dog hair in our vehicles. Once or twice a month, hubby has to use a shirt because he's a bit klutzy if he eats in the truck. He's spilled aircraft hydrolic fluid on himself at work and ran down for a clean shirt before.

Growing up, Mom and Grandma always had extra clothes for kids when we went to town.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Years ago, we had an acquaintance who lived "in the boonies". primitive dirt drive (about 3 miles) that was more ruts and rocks than road and you had to ford a stream twice. She learned the hard way to ALWAYS carry clean clothes, sleeping bags, and some sort of sealed food, because during the rainy season sometimes those streams could become impassable while she was in town. The family slept in the car more than once.