Winter preparations?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
When the garden starts to wain, then we start getting ready for the snowballs to fly. I will prolly get the chicken tractor to it's winter location(near electric outlets) and get some straw bales to stack up to knock the wind off them and tarp the rest.
We have all new replacement windows in the house so no plastic is needed(that has not always been the case!).

Our garden is cleaned off and tilled up, the raised beds are cleaned up, and I have Trac-Vac'd up the first batch of leaves for the compost pile.
Shed is cleaned out, all the buckets and tools are cleaned and put up, and ready for winter. I still have to drain all the fuel from the power tools, and after the leaves are done, I put the Trac-Vac up, and will get the tractor ready for snow removal duties. That means service it, put the front loader on and the scraper blade on the back, and park it in the shop where it stays warm.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One I forgot to mention...culling my flock of chickens down to the best layers so I have less free-loaders to feed over winter! Did up 7 older layers yesterday, then cleaned out the coop once more for winter.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know the season is over when I see a combine or chopper in every corn field I pass on my way to town, in addition to those I have to try to get around on the road. This time of year, the farmers own the roads around here.

Also, the trees are nearly naked, the daylight hours are shrinking, the farmer's market has closed for the season, and the birds are gathering.

Time to fill the fuel oil tank, get new tires on the car so it's ready to plow through the snow drifts, and pull out the coats, boots, snowpants, mittens & caps, and try to locate the snow shovels.