Winter sowing?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Has anyone tried winter sowing? Mini greenhouse style or not?

I'm giving it a try to space out the physical work of gardening. Planting seeds is the most difficult task for me, but I think it will go better when the weather is cold and the sun less intense.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What a great idea! I know that a lot of seeds survive our winter here, but our winters aren't horrible. But, I've had tomatoes, basil, and even the hot weather loving okra come back voluntarily. I bet there are other things that would survive. I think it would be worth a try! I'll let you go first, lol!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Read an article once where a lady put her seeds in plant pots in Fall, into non heated greenhouse or cold frame and just waited until spring. As they sprouted she would prepare for transplanting. Some cole crops and root types were even left out in snow and all. Her theory was that Mother Nature knew best. Says it worked for most all.

I know I've had volunteer come up and do very well....often earlier than I'd have gotten in house, certainly no prep or care from me. Go for it!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had a few volunteer tomatoes come up this summer. They sprouted AFTER I had planted all my carefully tended greenhouse-grown transplants, and ended up being the first ones to give us tomatoes. Every single one that I picked, I saved the seeds... hoping to get tomatoes that consistently ripen extra early for our short growing season. I picked up some landrace tepary beans and okra this year to do the same thing. For those that don't know (I didn't for the longest time), a landrace is a variety of plant that still has a wide genetic diversity in it. The idea is to select and save the seed from the plants that give you the qualities you are looking for. Again, I'm hoping for a dry bean that will mature during our short growing season.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have some diakon radish seeds sprouting out there that will likely get frozen pretty good this week. the remaining seeds will sprout as they can come spring. i don't always let them grow very far before i pick them because i like the sprouts, but i like to leave some here and there for the flowers and diversity. the deer will eat any of them they can find in the winter if the weather is too bad and they can't find anything else to eat.

i don't plant anything else for the winter or early spring other than the green garlic if i can get a crop planted of it and have the space (which i did have this year so i'm looking forwards to a harvest come late winter and spring and into the early summer, but i'll probably have it all dug up by then). green onions, i keep forgetting about them... and some other onions too, not sure what they will do or survive. experiments. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I raked dead weeds off two beds (3' x 30' each) and broadcast sowed carrots and cherry radishes mix and kohlrabi and cover crop radish mix. I mixed them with peat moss on hopes of better spacing.

I also broadcast sowed about 3 pounds of white clover seed in the area I probably wont grow much in. The clover can get thick enough to choke out other weeds, but its not so dominant as to threaten what I plant. I dont have enough clover established to make a big difference. Sowing in late fall has been most successful way for me to get it started. Next best way was growing "plugs" in seed starter trays and transplanting.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I raked dead weeds off two beds (3' x 30' each) and broadcast sowed carrots and cherry radishes mix and kohlrabi and cover crop radish mix. I mixed them with peat moss on hopes of better spacing.

I also broadcast sowed about 3 pounds of white clover seed in the area I probably wont grow much in. The clover can get thick enough to choke out other weeds, but its not so dominant as to threaten what I plant. I dont have enough clover established to make a big difference. Sowing in late fall has been most successful way for me to get it started. Next best way was growing "plugs" in seed starter trays and transplanting.
The clover and jackhammer radish did great. DS14 hoed the row with radish and carrot - and I saw a couple of those radishes pop up in fall 2021!

I would repeat winter sowing for cover crop, but not veggies.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The clover and jackhammer radish did great. DS14 hoed the row with radish and carrot - and I saw a couple of those radishes pop up in fall 2021!

I would repeat winter sowing for cover crop, but not veggies.

radish sprouts are an excellent green if someone likes radishes and can tolerate eating them. one thing i like is that they do resow themselves if you let them go to flower and pod stage and don't mind having them pop up all over. :) turnips too.

buckwheat is a bit more trouble as it doesn't like cool weather and will die back from the frosts but my biggest trouble with growing buckwheat is that the deer, rabbits, etc. all will target it so it is hard to get plants to stay around for long if they are outside the fenced areas.

i grow clover as a green manure crop that sometimes gets turned under or harvested as fertilzer that gets buried in other places.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Older thread--but I was just reading up on some stuff for winter sowing that I will have to try next year as it is a bit late in the year.

BUT I do some cold sowing in the super early spring in milk jugs outside in the snow. I usually plant peas and beans but would like to try planting carrots next Aug, letting them grow and then cover them to "store" over the winter and then just go an pick what we need from the beds. I find this very interesting and am excited to see if it will work.

I also plant garlic in October-this year I put in 14 cloves, which should be just enough for us.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Older thread--but I was just reading up on some stuff for winter sowing that I will have to try next year as it is a bit late in the year.

BUT I do some cold sowing in the super early spring in milk jugs outside in the snow. I usually plant peas and beans but would like to try planting carrots next Aug, letting them grow and then cover them to "store" over the winter and then just go an pick what we need from the beds. I find this very interesting and am excited to see if it will work.

I also plant garlic in October-this year I put in 14 cloves, which should be just enough for us.
It's not too late for winter sowing in WI. You can direct sow until snow falls or set containers out until end of January. :)