Winter...Spring....Wheat

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the difference is between winter and spring wheat...? Does one store better in the longer term than the other..?
I'm thinking spring wheat is the first spring crop, and winter wheat is the last fall harvest.Then to make matters a bit more confusing thiers, hard and soft wheat, red and white..!!! Does anyone have a link to a "what wheat is for what" webpage/link...? I asked a simular question recently, and got a little info from a member here, saying soft white wheat milled to flour was good for making pizza dough, don't know if that was spring or winter, or if it even matterss...I'm looking for a wheat expert....lol thanks for any help...Kevin

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think that winter wheat is actually a biennial. In my region if you sow it in the fall you have to wait until the next summer to get wheat . . . if I am remembering correctly. Red wheat I think is what whole wheat typically comes from, but white I think is an albino variety of red wheat. Don't quote me on that either. I would try a google search for "wheat varieties," that might turn something up. Good luck!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
There is a thread I started in the self sufficient kitchen called types of wheat & flours, it gives a basic description of the different wheats.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks folks for the info and links..:)