Woman killed by feral hogs outside Texas home: ‘One of the worst things I've ever seen’

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A woman was attacked and killed by a group of feral hogs Sunday morning outside the Southeast Texas home where she worked as a caretaker, authorities said.
Chambers County Sheriff Brian Hawthorne said in a press conference Monday that Christine Rollins, 59, arrived around 6 to 6:30 a.m. when she was attacked at the Anahuac home, located 40 miles east of Houston.
The 84-year-old woman who has been under her care for almost two years went outside and found Rollins in the front yard between her car and the front door, Hawthorne told reporters.
He said Rollins had a severe head wound and several other injuries consistent with different sized bites indicating multiple animals were involved.
Hawthorne said detectives are still trying to determine if Rollins fell because of a medical condition and the fall caused her head injury, or if the animals made her fall.
“In my 35 years, it was one of the worst things I had ever seen,” Hawthorne said about the scene.
The coroner in neighboring Jefferson County ruled Monday that Rollins bled to death after an attack by feral hogs.
Hawthorne told reporters that feral hogs have been a problem in the county and throughout the state of Texas, however, incidents like this are extremely rare.
“Just from what little research we have found there is less than six of these that have been reported in the nation over the very many years in reporting these kind of deaths," he said.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They will even bite the hand that feeds 'em.

I raise 'em. I love 'em. But, I never forget that they would consume me if the chance came...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Quite disturbing! Hogs definitely have no conscience...and these are wild animals doing what wild animals do. Such a horrific way to die. I can only hope that she was unconscious from the head wound.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree, @Lazy Gardener. We are lucky, feral pigs are one type of animal we DON'T have up here. I'm not sure why, but it seems to be something about the mountains we are surrounded by

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are some areas of WI that have feral hogs, DNR begs people to shoot any feral hogs they see so hopefully it won't become a problem around our place. Knowing this area, we will never have a feral hog problem. We have alot of hunters around that would love to have something new to shoot and eat.

I bet that the latest E. coli contamination of Romaine lettuce will be from feral hogs in the fields. That was the "cause" for one of the big Romaine contamination/recalls in the past.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, for crying out loud... you're supposed to wash your produce anyway! It may not clean it all off, but it will go a long ways

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The WI DNR put out an Article asking hunters to "Go ahead and Poke them" in relation to feral hogs. As a landowner, I can shoot all feral hogs on my property without a license and only need a deer license or small game license for anywhere else.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When my grandpa was a young man, east Texas was open range. Hogs were rounded up on horseback with cur dogs by ranchers and farmers in the area. People ear marked and cut the pigs, kept some for house meat, some for the smokehouse for winter eating and sold the rest. It was a way of life. When I was young, feral hogs were seldom seen, they were hunted hard by hungry people. As people prospered, left the farms, bought meat at the store, hog populations exploded. Hogs are dangerous, mean, fearless, and will attack.