Wonder Bag

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay, I don't have stock in the company that produces this slow cooker, but I thought I'd share it with y'all. I went on amazon and I don't normally buy just anything I see, but rather search for the item I'm thinking/looking for and get the best deal, but I happened to see this item and read up on it.
What it is, for those of you who haven't heard of it, is a pretty piece of insulated fabric, which is wrapped around a covered pot (that you already possess), with already cooking stew or soup...whatever.
It slow cooks, without electricity, gas, etc... for up to 12 hours.
Now, personally, I believe most of us can use this info and go with it (make our own). I know I can, but I liked the concept and the story and I don't mind the idea that just cuz I bought one in the US that one (hopefully) will be donated to a lady in Africa.
Well, I bought one for myself, but gave it to DD 26 for her birthday a few weeks ago. I explained the use and told her about a lady in Africa, etc....and I think she liked it (the idea...not sure if she actually used it yet). Then I ordered 2 more. One for me and one to give away. And yesterday I ate lima beans I had started the night before. I put everything in a cassarole dish and got it going in a microwave. I did wake up early and check it out and it was piping hot, but not sure it would have still been cooking, so stirred and reheated, then ate for lunch. Well, what can I say? It tasted like limas.
Anyway....having seen my childhood home go up in flames, I am always afraid to intentionally leave anything running, even if thats what everyone does, so I really like the concept of this.
Anyways....I know some of you don't mind trying new things and love cutting costs. If I use my bag enough, I think it will pay itself in a year or less. Coming from a very warm climate, it would greatly help me if I can use recipes that take a long time to simmer if I can put them in the bag and not heat up my house.
Anyway...this is my product review. I only wish I could get my magnalite pots porceline coated because I have stopped using them and you can't really (or shouldn't really) stew for long periods in cast iron.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have heard of this. It was mentioned in the Meals In A Jar cookbook. She did say that it takes a bit longer than a crockpot, but on the other hand that time is all energy free. I'd like to get one of those and a solar oven and a rocket stove... then I figure I'll be good to go no matter what. One of those should get the job done no matter the weather or time of day, lol

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a wish list that is doable, but not getting done too quickly. A rocket mass heater happens to be on that list. I have tried a solar oven, but just as an experiment. It failed, but I'm convinced it could work if I had just used tougher materials.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Do you have any link to it? It sounds interesting.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know very many computer tricks. It will be my downfall. But if you have an amazon acct, just search for it and see if you can read up on it.
Honestly, I think I can make my own, but I bought 3 cuz I felt generous.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I understand they are quite easy to make, if you have the patience to work with all those tiny beads (just like a bean bag chair, really)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought of you a while ago, after bringing DD to dancing, Britesea. Someone was throwing away a bean bag chair. I was like....I can make 15 Wonder Bags!!!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought of you a while ago, after bringing DD to dancing, Britesea. Someone was throwing away a bean bag chair. I was like....I can make 15 Wonder Bags!!!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Interestingly, I just read an article in Back Woodsman about using your sleeping bag as a kind of Wonder Bag cooker when camping...