Wonder Wash

LetsBeSelfSufficient

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these? My husband and I are looking into washing machines, but I want something that saves water and electricity. This seems perfect, since (according to one review) you use 16% of the water most machines use and it doesn't require electricity. I think it costs about $50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk-CK_2OmHk

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It would take me forever to get laundry done at 5 lbs per load....what about sheets and towels?

I've heard of people doing something similar with a bucket or a large tub and a clean toilet plunger to agitate it. Even more low-tech!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can vouch for the effectiveness of the bucket & plunger (or the bathtub & kids' feet!) My clothes are actually cleaner since my washing machine died & we've been "handwashing".
Seriously, I was warned off those wonder washers when I was informed that 2 pairs of jeans or 4-6 shirts is an entire load :th

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The plunger-and-bucket system...do you use regular, store-bought detergent? How do you wring out the excess water?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
they need to make a floor model of wonder washer that holds bout twice as much.

With this device you tell the family,,,,, you want clean clothes? wash them yourself.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
The plunger-and-bucket system...do you use regular, store-bought detergent? How do you wring out the excess water?
I used cheap liquid detergent and much less than they suggest, just enough to get some suds in a 5 gallon bucket. I also got cold water detergent because my only warm water came from the wood stove that I kept a pot on.

I put the bucket in the bathtub and agitate with a plunger let soak, dump over and repeat with rinse water twice, if it was socks and underwear I put a dollop of bleach in the first rinse and let soak for an hour then another drain and rinse.

I lightly wrung the clothes but pretty much hung wet for a drip dry, wringing is quite tedious and sometimes left stretch marks in shirts and such.

In the winter I used two spring loaded shower curtain poles for drying, sometime pointing a fan at it if needed sooner then the 2 days it usually took in my cold house.

I did this for 2 years then bought a $200 W/D set last year, I seldom if ever use the dryer as the solar clothes line still works best.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mackay said:
they need to make a floor model of wonder washer that holds bout twice as much.

With this device you tell the family,,,,, you want clean clothes? wash them yourself.
Ok your going to think I've lost it. But my compost tumbler is exactly what your describing. Let me find a picture.

This is what mine looks like. http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Outdoor/Compost-Tumblers/Urban-Compost-Tumbler-71-Gallons

It's kinda hard to turn and it gets really heavy. But my neighbor made one that is a barrel on it's side. Used caster wheels screwed up side down on a pallet. Wouldn't that be the coolest thing ever?

Who cares if it leaks. Spin it a few times and it would be self draining.

Oh, that's it I am making one.

How about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc3kBspqSLc&feature=related

g

Ok I got it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd7yFVgv32Y&feature=related :p Sorry I am just cracking myself up tonight!!

Latest posts