Wonering About How Much Grain To Store.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I currently have about 100 lbs each of Red and White wheat stored in beprepared.com 6 gallon buckets with the gamma lids... I also have a supper pail of oat groats, and tricticale ( sp ?). plus some no. 10 cans of buckwheat, flax & quinoa... Tried to get rye and spelt but the company was out..

Its just my husband and I , but we also each have children... My boys are 21 and 25 and single with girl friends.. His 3 boys are in their 30's and 40's one of them has land with cattle etc..
I also have a couple sisters that might need help..

I'm wondering how much do I need to store.. I've also noticed that since the last order from bishops store house that their prices have doubled for a 25 lb bag of wheat..

I have can goods ( soup, chili etc). condiments, jams etc.. and # 10 cans of assorted dried fruits and vegetables plus a couple boxes of assorted meals ..
We also have a garden every year but some years it is better than others. LOL.. This year looks like we will get some of everything we have planted..
We live in town but have been talking about moving to the country.. ( Daisy, Stanley and Ellie ( the ducks would love that !!!!). the chicks ( 2 months would love it too I bet)..

Just not sure how much we need..
Thanks for ya'lls in put.
christine

we built a place for food storage in garage but the water I store is taking up a lot of room..

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Pirtykitty said:
I currently have about 100 lbs each of Red and White wheat stored in beprepared.com 6 gallon buckets with the gamma lids... I also have a supper pail of oat groats, and tricticale ( sp ?). plus some no. 10 cans of buckwheat, flax & quinoa... Tried to get rye and spelt but the company was out..

Its just my husband and I , but we also each have children... My boys are 21 and 25 and single with girl friends.. His 3 boys are in their 30's and 40's one of them has land with cattle etc..
I also have a couple sisters that might need help..

I'm wondering how much do I need to store.. I've also noticed that since the last order from bishops store house that their prices have doubled for a 25 lb bag of wheat..

I have can goods ( soup, chili etc). condiments, jams etc.. and # 10 cans of assorted dried fruits and vegetables plus a couple boxes of assorted meals ..
We also have a garden every year but some years it is better than others. LOL.. This year looks like we will get some of everything we have planted..
We live in town but have been talking about moving to the country.. ( Daisy, Stanley and Ellie ( the ducks would love that !!!!). the chicks ( 2 months would love it too I bet)..

Just not sure how much we need..
Thanks for ya'lls in put.
christine

we built a place for food storage in garage but the water I store is taking up a lot of room..
I have to ask first, are you using what you store? As in its on constant rotation?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We figure our storage on 200 pounds of wheat, 50 pounds of rice, and 25 pounds of each of corn and a few other grains, per adult. It's a bit more than the LDS food storage calculator recommends but we figured that we'd buy extra while it's cheap to have some for charity and barter should the need ever arise.

We also raise a garden each year and mostly dehydrate what we store. We do pressure can a bit of our produce and plan to start increasing the amount canned this year.

ETA the link to the LDS Food Storage Calculator

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you.. I'm not doing too bad then.. Will order more wheat etc . next time the church has a bulk order for Walton .. or if prepared.com runs a good sale ( fingers crossed). I purchased a wheat grinder last spring.. and a little coffe grinder for the stuff that I can't use in the wheat grinder.. I had a brand new coffee grinder that I gave away a few years ago. LOL.. I'll have to ask the bishop if anyone is going to the bishops storehouse anytime soon and maybe they can bring back an order for me too.. We went back in Feb.. and brought back a truck load of food for needy families and didn't have room for us to bring back anything.. after looking at prices on other sites 12. 45 isn''t that bad for 25 lb of wheat. its just sticker shock cause last time I bought it , it was 6. 45. Ouch.. I've got buckets put aside and some gamma lids. just gota get some maylar bags etc. Need to learn how to can too !!!!!

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you everyone.. I'm a plugging away at it. LOL.. We are thinking about buying some land either with a house or building a house on it in the future.. I'm 54 and hubby is 62.. We want at least 5 acres.. Is it better to be in town or in the country if things get bad????

I have always wanted to live in country. Hubby was raised on farm/ranch..

I know you can raise more animals in country and have bigger garden and orchards etc.. than in town..

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I have lots of grains, beans and rice stored.Some might think its overkill, but i don't.I go through the trouble of storing in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers, which i get from the LDS.The sell mylar bags that equal a #10 cans.I've been all over the internet, no one sells mylar bags as cheap as they do, and they a heavy duty mylar bags.They only sell the one size.If you store your grains, beans and rice properly, they will last for many yrs.It's a good hedge against inflation and yes, all grain prices are going up. If your also storing for other family members, keep buying..your off to a good start.The most important thing is keeping it dry and bug free, nothing could be worse than seeing your investment go bad..! Get a good hand grain mill, an with your grains you'l have what you need t bake bread, muffins, make cereals, etc...
Some of us here, don't believe in storing bulk amounts of grains and such, i'm not one of them.To each there own,everyone does what they feel is right when it comes to this subject...:) Shop around, when buying bulk grains..depending where you live, you can save big bucks..! I live on long island, ny...its not easy for me to find good prices, and shipping can really be a killer..If you live in grain growing country, you can find better deals direct sometimes, cutting out the middle man.Good luck..!

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hm......... today I bout 80lbs of whole corn.. I figure when my wife starts telling me to move all my buckets out of the way I have to many.. until then... ;)

Okokokokok, I agree, use the LDS calc, but unless you have a good manual or tractor driven grinder it's some what pointless in a no power situation... But I still need to get my cook stove :/

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Where do you get a good manual grinder???? I bought one for about 69. oo year before last and it's only good for grinding cereal.. then last year I was able to get an electric one..
I have been buying pop corn to grind for cornmeal.. I have it in the freezer right now as a 4 lb bag will make 13 cups.. that last a pretty good while.