Wood stove pipe replacement..

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My in-laws have been using a woodburn stove as the sole source of heat for about 3 years now. My FIL just deployed to Germany yesterday for 4 months and apparently some of his parting words to his wife were to 'be gentle' with the woodburn stove because the pipe has become pretty thin and even eroded in some places. Well, she took this and decided that we wouldn't be using the woodburn stove unless we were home and awake.

How hard would it be to replace the pipe leading from the ceiling to the back of the stove? It's still quite cold here and the three small electrical heaters she has 'replaced' the wood burn stove just aren't cutting it and they keep flipping the breaker.

Our stove is set up like this one. The pipes that need replacing is the halfway between the stove and the ceiling and the pipe connecting to the stove.
windsor_white2.jpg

Any advice? I think it may be cheaper to just replace the piping and continue using wood, but I'm not sure. I think the FIL installed the stove, but like I said, he'll be gone for 4 months.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, my situation is a bit different, but I'lll share anyway. :) Currently we have no wood stove but would like to install one. My hubby, being a do it yourselfer, had know idea where to start, so he called in a professional for an estimate. While the guy was here, dh prodded hiim with lots of questions, got the estimate (and lots of info) said no thanks-that was too pricey ($3500!!!), and now he is going to do it himself, now that he knows what all is needed and involved.

Maybe you could do something similar?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You need to figure out what size your pipe is, then get some of the stove pipe cement (little pintish sized jar). Replacing it really isn't hard. We just changed out wood stoves in the foyer and had to resize some of the pipe, and it really wasn't too much of a hassle. Anyways, check the piping all the way to the top. If it's corroded, then it'll probably be corroded all the way up. Does it connect to a chimney, or does the pipe go all the way?

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It shouldn't be that hard to replace one piece of stove pipe...

If there are screws holding it on, take those out (put down tarps, the soot can be MESSY!)... wiggle the pipe off where it connects, and replace with another one...

I've replaced the pipe in ours... but ours has a telescoping pipe, so it's like an accordian, just pushed up the old one took it out and put in the new one... piece of cake :)

Edited: Definitely measure both the diameter and length of the pipe you are replacing :)

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the hardest part is already done for you. all you have to do is match the size and length of the pipe sections. the hardest part i ran into as a gas fitter running chimney pipe was crimping the ends of the pipe that i had to cut so they nested together properly then i found the tool to do it with :/ and it was a breeze. it will be very messy so i suggest tarps and GOOD dust masks i use the one that fits over your mouth and nose made out of silicone and has hepa filters on both sides, you really dont want that soot in your lungs or sinuses bad news and the black boogers :sick last for days. If it were me, I would replace all the pipe since you will be set up for it anyway

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. We really enjoy the wood stove, it really helps heat the house, without the huge energy bill at the end of every month.

When I get home, I'll check out the size of the pipe and check it thoroughly for more corrosion. The only spots we know have holes in it, is the piece just behind the stove and about half way to the ceiling.

The chimney piece, that comes about 2 feet down from the chimney seems in great shape, should I check the piece between the ceiling and the roof?

Where would I go to buy replacement pipe? Home Depot? Lowes? or is it a special order item?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Home Depot has them, at least here in Canada, I'm sure they do in the states. thats where we will be getting ours for alot less than $3500.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
firem3 said:
the hardest part i ran into as a gas fitter running chimney pipe was crimping the ends of the pipe that i had to cut so they nested together properly then i found the tool to do it with :/ and it was a breeze.

If it were me, I would replace all the pipe since you will be set up for it anyway
Yup and yup. Hit the hardware to buy a crimper if you cannot borrow them. They're built like pliers, and shouldn't cost more than $8 or so.
As Firem said, definately redo all of it. It's so much easier to just replace it all now instead of waiting for it to rot out and do it one piece at a time.
Unfortunately, I don't know what the guys paid for the pieces of stove pipe. I do know that the pieces that converted 6" to 8" pipe was expensive. Each piece was $15. The piping should be much cheaper than that though.

ETA: The pipe was $8.50 for a 2' section. That's just regular 6" pipe. Whatever you do, make sure that you match the pieces. We have some triple wall pipe and some single wall. The triple wall is the stuff that goes through the house to make sure that the house doesn't combust. That's probably extremely expensive. Fortunately, we didn't have to replace any of this, just had to replace some of the stuff that connected to the new stove.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
firem3 said:
the hardest part i ran into as a gas fitter running chimney pipe was crimping the ends of the pipe that i had to cut so they nested together properly then i found the tool to do it with :/ and it was a breeze.

If it were me, I would replace all the pipe since you will be set up for it anyway
Yup and yup. Hit the hardware to buy a crimper if you cannot borrow them. They're built like pliers, and shouldn't cost more than $8 or so.
As Firem said, definately redo all of it. It's so much easier to just replace it all now instead of waiting for it to rot out and do it one piece at a time.
Unfortunately, I don't know what the guys paid for the pieces of stove pipe. I do know that the pieces that converted 6" to 8" pipe was expensive. Each piece was $15. The piping should be much cheaper than that though.

ETA: The pipe was $8.50 for a 2' section. That's just regular 6" pipe. Whatever you do, make sure that you match the pieces. We have some triple wall pipe and some single wall. The triple wall is the stuff that goes through the house to make sure that the house doesn't combust. That's probably extremely expensive. Fortunately, we didn't have to replace any of this, just had to replace some of the stuff that connected to the new stove.
I bought double walled pipe to replace mine... a 64" telescoping section was $135.99, that goes from the stove to the ceiling... everything else was replaced with Selkirk insulated pipe... Selkirk was really expensive.

Total it was about $1400 worth of materials to replace everything from the old stuff... (one section of our old pipe was made out of a paint can with the bottom cut out of it :gig ... needless to say, we didn't light a fire until everything was new)... we found a neighbour who could install the selkirk stuff for $100 and a case of beer :)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:D It shouldn't be too difficult, my hubby and I put in our wood stove a couple of months ago.

You might even be able to match piece for piece and buy the exact same replacement pieces.

We didn't use the cement someone mentioned, the pieces fit together really well and are screwed together with two little screws.

You would probably start at the point where the pipe goes through the wall, unscrew the plate, and off you go - unscrewing piece by piece...