Work from home ideas/ income ideas

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions for income. We are planning on moving to a farm soon and have probably 5-10 acres. We want to have a family milk cow, one for the freezer, chickens for eggs and freezer, and 2 pigs for freezer. Big garden, I know how to can, am pretty self-sufficient rite now in the way of making my own household items, cook from scratch, etc. I grew up on a farm and have alot of experience with farm animals. I was thinking of starting my own business and doing large animal care for short periods like vacations, or whatever the reason. I know people have a hard time finding good people to care for their animals when they are away. Especially things like hand-milking a cow or goat. Do you think that would be something where i could keep busy doing and make some money at?

I have a ten yr old and an 18 month old and plan on another soon. We have no debt and can make it on dh's income, but making it doesn't mean saving for retirement or college for kids or much savings at all. I want to stay home with kids most of the time but would love to find a job where it can be very flexible or better yet, just do it fromhome. I like working but like being home with kids too. I'm not looking to make a million but something where I can make a profit of about $ 500/ month. Any ideas???? Thanks

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Possibly but I wouldn't say likely. I would focus more on selling eggs, making soap to sell, or maybe sell honey as well. Maybe hatching chicks and selling them. I would focus on stuff like that. Maybe start vegetable plants and sell them. That is what I would do. Now there are plenty smarter people here who will have better answers.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I make about that doing scrap metal. It's not full time.

I also have found if you get pure bred chickens, that are popular, and hatch and sell hatching eggs and chicks, you can make a decent ammount of cash from that. Turkeys and ducks are even better. Ducks because they feed themselves in the summer, and part of the winter so overhead is low, and trkeys because it is difficult to raise them if you can't devote time, and they sell higher. Guineas are another popular bird, and they lay like mad and hatch easily, even with poor hatch rates of other species, they always do well.

Sell excess produce from the garden for extra cash.

Fish sell pretty well if you have a pond on the property and can get it established.

Honestly, I believe the TRUE KEY to making a farm work for you income wise, is diversification. Don't try to make all the money you need on any one thing, but rather on multiple things. Just my opinion, and has been my personal experience, but that is the only way we have made anything here.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've tried doing the whole barn sitting thing. And, unless you're in an area where there's a high demand for it, and few people to do it, you're not going to be able to make much. Plus, depending on where the person is and the mileage your vehicle gets, you might have to charge so much just to cover your gas costs that it's not worth it to people. They'll find a friend or family member that is closer who will do it cheaper or for free.

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mr.Andersson said:
One question is, where are you? State, region, zone? It might help with suggestions.:hu:D
Wisconsin. Crappy winters, rainy spring, decent fall, summer can be pleasant or the humidity can make outside work unbearable.

I think we are zone 5.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
think on 'which way' you want to go.

I make soaps to sell. it is work and 'more work' then just going to a job. I do it all from ordering everything I need, making, wrapping, selling, advertising, printing labels, buying supplies and dealing with customers, running to post office to ship, drive to resupply my local stores, and it takes ALOT of time to run any business you create.

then there is something like 'boarding small dogs'. People have made great business taking in small dogs into their homes. One lady dedicated a spare bedroom. Gives the loving touch to the pet instead of a sterile cage at a kennel. her biz grew word of mouth til she couldn't take in any more animals. BUT she is limited on 'how much time she has to truly supply' this biz. One room dedicated, time to walk and play with dogs, deal with customers, some advertising. BUT in the end her work load is actually less than mine.

so kinda think how you want to spend your time in any biz you create.

---maybe go to a local old age/retirement home. see if they require anyone to drive some residents around to hair appts or something like that. charge gas/time.

what is in your area? anything that stands out? anyway you can tack on a service to that?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would suggest start small with chickens and vegies/ friut, and such. Depending on local laws and such chickens can give you eggs, chicks, and meat to keep yourself or sell. And if you start your oun seedlins you could start extras to sell, and friut/vegies to sell during the summer. Maybe try some craft type things, like soap, candles, or such. Find your local farmers markets and swap meets. And as you build your self up you can expand.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's definately not a job, but I sell plasma. Correction - I donate plasma and they compensate me for my time. (Whatever!) They pay $25 for the first donation of the week and $35 for the second (max twice a week). So if I do it every time I'm eligible, that's $240 per month. It is not reliable, you can't donate when you're ill, or if your iron is too low or blood pressure too high, but it definately helps.

Might be worth seeing if there is somewhere that does that in your area.

Latest posts