Working for salary vs hourly?

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was working as salaried for a couple of years until my company decided that they'd put me part time. I think both have their pros and cons, but if you work for a company that is as terrible as mine, there are no pros either or. Salaried people get worked to the bone, expect to answer their phones on the weekend and the hourly people get screwed over when it comes to time sheets that must be filled out weekly and conveniently get misplaced before the cutoff date for the next payroll. :rolleyes:

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Salary now stinks. Once upon a time there were benefits. Now I only see drawbacks. You get paid your 40. They make sure they get every last second of that 40 hours. Then if you are really a good worker you put in more hours. My husbands work, its judged how much your putting in. Are you putting in time at home? Skipping lunches, coming in early and leaving late. Generally salary now means they want to have fewer employees and more worked hours. I hate it personally.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The company I worked for, before I had to quit to save my life, paid us salary. But they kept adding work and documentation requirements, so that it was impossible to get our "quota" in. We complained loudly that it was impossible to do the work and paperwork required, and they wouldn't let us do the paper work at home, as we used to. The management's solution? Work on weekends, too! That's right; we'll pay you for 40 hours, but you'll work 60, rather than the 50 you have been working. Bah! Take this job and shove it!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so lucky said:
The company I worked for, before I had to quit to save my life, paid us salary. But they kept adding work and documentation requirements, so that it was impossible to get our "quota" in. We complained loudly that it was impossible to do the work and paperwork required, and they wouldn't let us do the paper work at home, as we used to. The management's solution? Work on weekends, too! That's right; we'll pay you for 40 hours, but you'll work 60, rather than the 50 you have been working. Bah! Take this job and shove it!
Both MO and the Feds have wage laws sue for the money owed. They can't fire you now!

LilyD

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My husband works a salary position and I have to agree with the poster that said it's dependent on the company. His company is amazing and he has all but one weekend a month off plus every other Monday or Friday. He also has to take a certain amount of days off each month and if he doesn't take the time off they will remind him that it's there to take when he needs it. Even with working salary he is getting more time off than his last job where he was required to work overtime but was treated like poop.

It could have definitely gone the other way though had his boss not been as understanding as they have proven to be.

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've since left the job I started this thread about and am working for another home health company, hourly. I have to admit I was rocking the salary thing! It didn't work well for everyone, but my territory was pretty small and I've always been fast with my paperwork. So, while I lost some on milage from the small area, I was usually working about 6-6 1/2 hours a day, making my productivity and getting paid for 8 hours. I was cool with that!

Now, starting my new job, I'm driving 28 miles just to the office, then back to my town to see patients.......salary would suck big time in this case. But, no benefits with this job yet, honey's job doesn't offer them, and now I've got a tooth that's giving me zingers.............

movinggreen

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
you can tyr both! I have done both. There are advantages and disadvantages to both and the company you work for also plays a huge part in how well you are treated and what is expected.

danielburns271

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I thing it is better to work for hourly rate, I lived with my kids and my small business, so I prefer to get into an hourly work. so I cant miss those time to be spend with my kids