Worms

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am very excited. Yesterday, I was in the garden working a fence line (in the middle of my yard) over with a pitchfork to loosen it up for peas and I found WORMS!!! Lots of them! For most people, this is no big deal but last year, I could have tilled the whole yard and found maybe 5 worms in the whole thing. I found 5 in every 5 inch by 4 foot section. Finally, something to show for having thrown all that mulch, compost, manure, spent chicken bedding, etc in the garden and free-ranging the chickens for the last 9 months. Maybe this year plants will grow.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I definately know the feeling! Our old place was nothing but poor soil and rocks, there was not a worm to be found. After 10 years worth of farm animals, by the time we moved we could dig and find hundreds of huge earthworms and could actually grow a garden! It was amazing the difference.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know. And here I was starting to lose hope that the soil (contractor's grade) would never improve. I't sspecially hard here because it's the contractors soil over top of Colorado clay. Mix those two together you can get something with the consistency of concrete.