Would anyone have pizza & spaghetti sauce recipes????

animal nut

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I would like to not buy anymore of these items in the store. I like to know what I am eating and how it was grown.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is my families FAVORITE pizza sauce, its also a great dipping sauce for breadsticks.
I make triple batches and freeze in portions. You can make to suit your tastes, I add less fennel seed than the recipe states, but I would make up as posted then change to your family preference.
Good luck on your quest!
Got this off the internet a couple of years ago.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PIZZA SAUCE
Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1/2 cup onion, chopped
* 1/4 cup celery, chopped
* 1 garlic clove, minced

* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

* 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
* 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 small bay leaf
* 1 teaspoon fennel seed

Directions

1.In a large skillet, melt butter with the oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic and saute until soft and transparent. (I cheat and use food processor for the onions, celery and garlic so the kids don't complain about "chunks" :/ )
2.Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir until smooth.
3.Add remaining ingredients and bring to slow simmer.
4.Simmer for 30-60 minutes.
5.Remove the bay leaf and spread the sauce on your prepared pizza dough.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
My family does not like chunks in their pizza sauce so mine is pretty simple.

1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 4oz can of tomato paste
2-3 cloves of garlic - grated
Basil - you can add any other herbs you like
Salt & Pepper
Pinch of sugar

Saute the garlic in olive oil and add the can of sauce and paste. Add basil (dried or fresh) S&S and sugar. Bring to a simmer for 15 minutes and that's it.

I double the batch and put half in the freezer.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I use spaghetti sauce and do the whole wheat pizza dough recipe from my bread machine cookbook. Then slice up stuff from the garden and voila!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Fennal? Cool!

I throw chunks of eggplant in during the saute stage of the onions and garlic. We can't get enough eggplant around here! :drool I'm going to try it with fennal now, thanks!

animal nut

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
What I am really looking for is a way to can the sauce from ingrediants in my garden.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just replace the amount of canned tomatoes with your own, you'll need to add some tomato paste unless you want to cook them down a bit. Some here don't even peel them, just run 'em through the blender or food processor or dice 'em up. I plan to do that if my tomatoes ever ripen! I got three cherry tomatoes that I ate in the garden and one small round one, can't remember what it is, some heritage plant I bought. Ate that one tonight with some cukes, and the oven just beeped, time for pizza! With home canned sauce!

I just use my spaghetti sauce recipe, make it a bit thicker, a bit spicier, and not at all chunky. I can it in pint jars, which is enough for one cookie-sheet size pizza (not right up to the edges of the sheet pan, but I put the sauce on quite thick.) It is so wonderful! You are gonna love it!

animal nut

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you, I will give it a try.