would love to learn how to caponize

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a few publications explaining how to caponize cockerals. I also have the tools, although I don't care for how the separators are made. I have done as the books recommend and practiced on a dead rooster and was partially successful, but I had lots of trouble and couldn't completely catch the second testicle.
I have wanted to learn this surgery for over 20 years, but I can't find a book with good visuals or locate a teacher.
I really would love to find out about a siminar, with a little class offering caponization techniques, even if I'd have to take a train to go. I haven't gone on a vacation in years anyway.
I will check from time to time if anyone responds here, but if anyone discovers how I can learn this surgery, and a year or so has gone by, please e-mail or pm me. Thanks.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Where do you live? I have a bird specific vet who specializes in chickens. Its about rooster season...

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cut Off, Louisiana. Would be interested in planning a trip or just getting a better book or hopefully coming together in a central location with like-minded people to solve a common problem with the right teacher.
I am convinced that I could kill less birds if I can make my birds bigger.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I could ask her if we could do an imprompntu seminar somewhere.

Covering basic medicine/first aid
Caponizing
Nutrition (she's into free ranging)

What else? If I can get a few people interested, I will ask her about it.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here that people.....this is the place. Spread the news and lets start a list, even if we only # 20 or so. I will tell BYC to PM me too. And thanx so much. I'm also sorta into the araucana club, so I will tell them too.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe edit the thread title so more people look :)

Or, I could start a diff thread?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Warning GRAPHIC

I have done this on several occasions with only limited success. NOT for the FEEBLE HEARTED.

I got a book, got the equipment, plus added a topical anesthetic and new scalpels from TSC. I also got some antibiotic to add to the water as well. I was willing to do the surgery, but was not going to lose any to infection.

I followed directions - First you withhold food for 24 hours and water for 6 to 12. Dehydrating them makes the work easier. Next you immobilize them by tying the birds wings above the back and together and then stretching them out on my work surface by binding the legs and tying them as well. Honestly this part is where they scream the most and loudest. You remove the feathers from the site and I washed the chick with my topical anesthetic.

You make the cut between the ribs (this makes them squawk) and use a rib spreader to open the site. You then basically stir around in the chick's guts until you find the testicles. (Oddly when you are digging around in the guts the cockerels act perfectly calm and sometimes even start singing!) You lift them up and basically pull them away from their attachments. Once they are both removed, you remove the spreader and I re-cleaned the site. If you cut correctly the ribs close and hold the site closed as well. I used neosporin on the site and again the following day.

Now the cold facts.

When the chicks are at the appropriate age to caponize it is extremely difficult to see what you are doing inside of the chick and the testicle is quite small and slippery and hard to get it all removed.

Although the cockerels DO heal extremely fast and most were completely healed up within three days, when the ribs are closed the body cavity is still basically open for a day or two. Some of my birds made an awful wheezy sound when breathing due to air (contaminated?) being sucked in through the wound when their diaphragm contracted during breathing. I had a couple that healed skin first and then (way later) at the incision site, so they ended up with a big bubble on their sides.

When I continued water, as a trial, it was VERY VERY hard to find anything inside. Yet when I withheld the water and food the young cockerels seemed quite weakened before the surgery. They had a depression for about 24 hours AFTER the surgery that made them not want to eat and barely drink.

I caponized about 24 birds over 3 different tries. Of these I lost 3. One instantly when I accidental nicked a major vein. Of the living birds I believe about 10 ended up with a tiny bit of leftover testicle which made the bird continue to develop male characteristics and made the caponizing a failure. The successful capons still required a long time to mature and when I kept a control group un-caponized they were not far behind the capons in gains.

In my opinion caponizing is NOT worth the stress to the birds and to me. I would rather just build a designated rooster pen and fatten them the old fashioned way.

Hope my experiences help you.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I basically got it, but not completely. I have only done it on dead chickens. And I didn't feel satisfied with the outcome.
I am a nurse, so I have inflicted a lot of pain on a lot of people and saw a lot of blood in my life. I am way past ready to learn this procedure, but I don't have a teacher and my books stink.
Maybe my daughter (biology major) can find me a college text book. IDK.
A class would be wonderful.