would you consider this

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you and hubby are handy, the insulation wouldn't be a huge issue. I live 2 blocks from RR tracks. We never even notice it anymore.

As for the lot size, well you can do lot with small areas. Mine in is less than half that size! LOL

The price is amazing.

Are there any restrictions on having chickens or ducks?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I love, love, love it! :love

I lived near the tracks once and I got used to it pretty quickly. I actually missed the train's whistle when I moved away.

If they could tolerate the heat back when they built it in the 1800's, so can you. Plug in a fan. Does it really get cold enough there to heat the place?

The heat rarely gets turned on up here and our one fireplace will heat almost our whole house. I think I lit maybe 5 fires this past winter. You'll just need to dress warmer.

eta: you can take a nice bath while you wash your clothes! :p

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
it can get in the 20 and sometimes a lil less

i actually live by tracks but my house now is brick so i barely here it when im inside

im so tressing over this whole house issue

there is another house thats only 74,000 on 6.6 acres that is only 5 years old and needs absolutely no work but i worry that it might be some cheap stick built house that they slapped up cause of the market in 05 and was trying to make money

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I love the name of the town. :p

This house has so much charm! I can see beautiful hanging ferns/baskets on that porch and some 4th of July flag-style banners. You wouldn't even need to paint it right away.

As the years go by, and you have fixed it up gradually, it will be worth more than any 2005-built house.

How often does it get that cold?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
It's pretty.
Old style fireplaces used to let alot of heat out the chimney. Check if all the fireplaces have been updated yet or not. Have you had it inspected? Some of the pics were too dark to see easy, but I liked the design.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You would probably need to have it re-wired, re-roofed, fix the plumming and have it leveled first off. The rest you can live with as you fix it up room by room. I even dig the kitchen and would leave it as is after a good cleaning. :)

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
its cold here like 3-4 months of the year

im not handy and not married so i would have to pay someone to do every thing it seems there might be about 40,000 more worth of work after saying that

big brown horse said:
You would probably need to have it re-wired, re-roofed, fix the plumming and have it leveled first off. The rest you can live with as you fix it up room by room. I even dig the kitchen and would leave it as is after a good cleaning. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I love it also and I can just see a lovely B&B, rustic style, in the lines of the place....love the architecture of this place. You may be able to get a break on taxes if the place can be declared historical but the downside is having to allow people in to view it as a historical landmark whenever it pleases them.

You can have insulation blown into the walls and you may look into your local community action office to see if you would qualify for weatherization...which means new guttering, roofing, windows, isulation, etc. free of charge to yourself.

My aunt lives down there and they came in and did this and had to wind up replacing her entire kitchen flooring and cabinets by the time they were done. Score!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You and your kiddos would have to snuggle up together in one of those fire place rooms in the winter. (I still love it.) It probably has zero closet space too. (I still love it.) And it is probably going to cost quite a bit of casholla to make it liveable. (I still love it....and could honestly live there as is.)

Can you make a living living in such a small town? What big town is close by? This house would make a wonderful b and b. (Not my cup of tea btw, I like being alone most of the time.) Did you see all the trees across the street?

Can you even get a loan on a house sold as is?

eta, way cool Bee!