Would your extended family want to mooch off you?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Very few people in my extended family are even aware of being self sufficient. I'm not saying that I am even 60% prepared, but we are working toward that goal. I want my pantry, freezer and fuels stockpiled for at least 3 months(still lack some things). We are trying to make contacts with others in which we could barter for items. I garden, can and preserve, have chickens and eggs.

My point is that when I say I will be ready for any hard times that may come, they reply, "Well, we'll just come and live with you."

I'm trying to be the Ant (in the story of the Grasshopper and the Ant). I tell them they should be more prepared, and they look at me like I'm crazy. Just because they are related doesn't mean that I will be able to provide for them as well. I will help them, but I can't do it for them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nah...they all hate my guts! :D Now...they would definitely kill me and take whatever I have! ;)

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My extended family (read inlaws) have been mooching off of us for years. It just so happens that we don't have much to mooch right now.

I am usually happy to share what I can but it's on a case by case basis.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
No, my family is too proud to ask eachother for help. Its a little annoying at times when you want to help.
Who know though, if people are starving and need to feed their kids, maybe.
Most all my neices and nephews are adults, I have only 4 on the younger side, so maybe their parents would accept help, heaven knows they are not prepared, they are not even thinking in that direction.

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My inlaws live far away!!! My biological family that is left hates each other and me with a purple passion! They would destroy this place worse than any attack from rebels or looters with their fighting. They can fend for themselves. Most people would run when they saw them coming anyway! And then sometimes I wonder why I don't Christmas cards from them .......... :lol::lol::lol:

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Nah...they all hate my guts! :D Now...they would definitely kill me and take whatever I have! ;)
ROFL Beekissed!

I am at work (shhh) and literally my nose is starting to run because it is taking so much effort no to laugh out loud.

Cassandra

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Well lets see....

In laws:

BIL #1 (middle one) would NOT mooch. He is too "good" for that, and carries that arrogant attitude everywhere.

BIL #2 (youngest) would have no problem moving in with us, and bringing his wife and kids along, too. He has a weak stomach for certain things, and I assume would thing "I'll let them do it, and work on something else" ...otherwise he would starve, lol

SIL (oldest of all the in law kids, DH being 2nd out of 4) She would mooch. First off of her mom, then they would all probably come here. THey know we have lots, and know that we arent' scared to work to get it.

MIL/FIL...they would wait til theirs ran out, only asking us for things they knew we had. Then I think they might work with us on many things...they are the older generation, so they know what it takes to live.

As for MY family...

My one and only sister would move away to her mother's. I say 'her mother's' because I don't claim that woman. They would suffer along, and probably die before asking me for any help.

My father is very proud, and can do alot for himself, so I would almost say I would be asking HIM for help, not the other way around!! lol

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my family is close and the sister in laws are nice people and all the kids are good...aunts and uncles are super nice people.........so for me, no mooching here. All of us are so independent types....so we would all be offering help to each other, and everyone trying to offer each other more than the other....whew....confusing..HA HA

but nah, no mooching here. we all have some skills to bring to the table when needed if it came to that and we are the type that would work as a team to make it thru whatever. I am lucky. Tony's family....same way. Great people (with the exception of his Dads sister-in-law...white trash big time and moochers and wouldn't even think of asking Tony for help...cause they know they wouldn't get it..LOL)