WTF?? Taking Tomatoes Back To Their Tasty Roots

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Taking Tomatoes Back To Their Tasty Roots

"Scientists in Florida have a noble aspiration: They want to restore the supermarket tomato to something that tastes more like a tomato than a piece of cardboard. The researchers say it will take a combination of psychology and genetics to accomplish their goal."

WHAT? just buy a d*mn real, heirloom tomato from an actual farmer, why don't ya? sheesh!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is it me or was that article just retarded. Why can't people learn to grow their own?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:he More better living through science... *sigh*

My mother has gone nuts and planted 16 cherry tomato plants :th
We're going to be swimming in tomatoes. At least they are indeterminate!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I suddenly have the urge to go hug my heirloom tomato plants happily growing in my back yard

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
The researchers say it will take a combination of psychology and genetics to accomplish their goal."
what, psychology? subliminal messaging??

"this is a real tomato. eat it. it tastes good. cardboard is delicious and nutritious"

or do they mean therapy for the cardboard tomatoes?

"you need to reach your full potential in flavor!"

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I suddenly have the urge to go hug my heirloom tomato plants happily growing in my back yard
i would if mine would grow... it's mostly my fault though. i started them late and the potting soil was apparently not good- nothing in those flats came up. i ended up seeding them directly in a HOPE that something would come up. things are peeking through, but, if they produce, it's gonna be late late late.

abifae said:
"But determining which [plant chemicals] are crucial for a pleasing taste and smell is a job for psychologists. So Klee joined forces with Linda Bartoshuk. She's an expert in measuring relative tastiness."

why do we need an expert in "relative tastiness"?

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The good news is, molecular genetics has speeded up plant breeding enormously. One lab can now do what it used to take thousand of breeders to do.
oh good. let's go further to destroy the livelihoods of farmers.

The tomato-loving world will be waiting anxiously.
nope. at least not my section of the tomato-loving world. i seriously love tomatoes (i could eat them everyday at every meal- i only planted 9 varieties this year) but i won't be waiting, anxiously or otherwise, for these.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
abifae said:
"But determining which [plant chemicals] are crucial for a pleasing taste and smell is a job for psychologists. So Klee joined forces with Linda Bartoshuk. She's an expert in measuring relative tastiness."

why do we need an expert in "relative tastiness"?
oooo... i didn't catch that phrase lol. i see.

well, at least the p-docs have jobs now. it boosts the economy ;) just so long as you don't consider small farmers part of the economy. *laughing*