milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with Wwoof?? www.wwoof.net It's an international volunteer program to promote cultural and educational exchange where people interested in learning farming or agricultural or other skills would volunteer to help at your homestead. No money is exchanged between host and volunteer (although there is a small fee to be involved in the program) though often the volunteers get free room or board while they are with a "host" family. You get much needed help. They learn a skill, and meet a family. My son just returned from Germany and was familiar with it.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I am familiar with it and my ex and I considered doing it for awhile, but didn't get further than thinking and talking about it. It sounds like a wonderful way to get some much needed help on the homestead (if you're the host), or experience (if you're the volunteer).

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have looked at the program before. If I were a host, I would want a small cabin or apartment in the barn for the wwwoofer to stay in. It would be fun to go wwwoof somewhere else, but would need someone to care for my place. I think it is a good program.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a friend in Long Island, NY who does this as host. She's had several and while they seemed helpful & enthusiastic, per her, I did not get the impression that they were there for more than a couple weeks at a time. Haven't checked into it (although she suggested I may want to) because I just don't have time to "start over" every couple weeks! My schedule is not always set in stone. For ME, it seemed like more challenge than help.

May go to the site & see what they suggest.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This almost sounds similar to what @hqueen13 experienced with the people who came in the bus at the beginning of her thread. @Mini Horses , I don't think most stay very long, but it might be great for a big job like fencing the property, bringing in a big harvest, planting fruit trees, or something similar. It's probably more useful for people with bigger homesteads than mine. I'm sure there are lots of people here with unique skills other people would love to learn.

Latest posts